Alu boxed swingarm for 77 750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alu boxed swingarm for 77 750?

Does anyone know which model's would fit on my 77? I've decided i would like to swap it out. Also, if anyone has one for sale let me know!

Thanks
    TCK

Are you looking for one off a GS? I just swapped an 83 swingarm onto mine. All I had to do was drill out the frame for the larger swing-bolt. It will take a good 41/64" bit. I also had to cut 5/8" of an inch off the new bolt and rethread it.

Simple swap though. The toughest part is keeping the drill centered so your holes line up when your done. Remember, if you drill one at even the slightest angle, you'll be off by a 1/2" or more when you push the bolt thru to the other side.

That would be bad

Here it is finished.

Comment

Yeah thats exactly what i want to do..is that off an 83 750?? BTW ive been watching that threat...fantastic work! I need to find a good 750 2V motor in better shape than mine...mechanically mine is fine..appearance wise..not so much..crack in the case around the points cover, and a couple broken fins and just general road rash ere and there. So if ya know of one lemme know!

Comment

Another question, It looks as if you had to also switch to eye to eye mount shocks? and did it lower the ride hight at all?

Comment

Cafe, The swingarm I used is off an 1100. Shock mounts are clevis type. It is about 2" longer than our 750 so if you keep the same shocks, your bike will sit a bit lower. I don't have as much undertail clearance due to the way I configured the seat pan, so I chose to get 14.5" shocks to get some clearance back.

Comment

Awesome info Dardoonk. I noticed the 83 and up 750 has an alu swingarm? I wonder if it would require drilling? Either way this is excellant info, and probably something i'll attempt either over the winter or the spring, as at some point ill want to do a 530 chain and sprocket conversion. Did you end up having to use an oddball chain length or is it a stocker??

Comment

I converted to a 530 chain when I built it. I don't recall the sprocket sizes or how many links the chain was. I ground two links off of whatever I bought, so I can give those numbers to you whenever you need them.

My tach is showing approx 4,100 rpm at 55mph, but I don't recall the gearing I chose. What does your tach show at 55?

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                THAT's a nice lookin' bike. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                  I converted to a 530 chain when I built it. I don't recall the sprocket sizes or how many links the chain was. I ground two links off of whatever I bought, so I can give those numbers to you whenever you need them.

My tach is showing approx 4,100 rpm at 55mph, but I don't recall the gearing I chose. What does your tach show at 55?
                  Heh..ill let ya know when i get it hooked up It didnt have a gauge package on it when i bought it...bought it off a guy who was building it out to drag i think...or a poor attempt at it anyway. Just got a 77 guage set for it, but havent hooked it up yet, as im just now getting the carbs squared away..its got pods and a VH 4into1 on it that it wasnt properly jetted for. Secondarily it also has a MONSTER rear sprocket on it..havent counted but im guessing 48 or maybe 50 teeth. On my first run on the highway it tached out (at least im guessing by the sound of it) at around 85-90ish(judging by traffic flow) It will get up and sh1t off the line but its not geared for the highway. Have a stock 630 41 tooth sprocket to go on it for now, but will switch over to 530 when i do the swingarm. The bike is mean on the city streets, but i want a middle ground gearing on it so i can take it out on the highway and not run too hard. She is 30 years old yanno...lol I might hit you up for some more info when i get to doing some of the head work on it, since you've dealt with this old girl yourself. If ya dont mind that is...

Comment

Working...
                  X