Stock Alloy Wheels - and tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Alloy Wheels - and tires

I need tires on my 82 GS1100EZ and have some questions about the situation. Will these stock wheels work with tubeless tires and if so will radial tires work with them? If I must use tubes, can I use radial tires with tubes in them? These may seem like useless questions but my other bikes either have spokes and require tubes or have alloy wheels that came with tubeless radials on them. I really like the handling of the radial tires. At this point the brand of tires is not an issue.
    Thanks,
    Lee

The info you're looking for should be stamped on the rim of the wheel. They should be tubeless.

Comment

rims

Thanks PAULYBOY,
      I will go scrape some of the corrosion crap off the rims and find the info. The wheels are the one thing I have been putting off on the refurb project. I hope to have them powdercoated or maybe do it myself if I can find an old oven at the thrift store that is big enough.
      Lee

Comment

Lee, I thought I had a closeup of a wheel, but I don't. As I remember they're stamped right on the rim between where the "spokes" or ribs are. You'll usually find a part number, the brand Ennkei, some DOT info and then the size and whether it's tubeless or not.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2007, 12:15 PM.

Comment

You can not use radial tires on a narrow GS wheel; radials need wide rims because the sidewall is flexible and the tire needs to be spread wide.

Regarding tubeless or tube type, there is lots of discussions in the archives. Some people go tubeless on wheels NOT labeled for tubeless; seems to work fine as long as there is not too much porosity in the wheel which causes leaks.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

tires

Thanks Nessim.
            Now I know why about radial.
            I did find stampings on the rim. "Suzuki", Ashai", and the size. Also the number 81. No info about tube or not. I'll assume they are for tubes?
            Lee

Comment

When I bought my 83 it had a tube in the front but not in the rear. I have to add air to it constantly . .. not sure what is stamped on the wheel though.

I will use a tube at the next tire change guaranteed.

Mike

Comment

Hey Mike (MRIDDLE), How about spraying some soapy water, all over the wheel & tire, to find out exactly where the air is leaking from. It would be very interesting, at least to me, to know for sure. Thanks, Rick
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Go for The Avons roadriders or Pirelli Sport Demons. They are a ply tyre but ride similar to a radial apparently. Loads of info on here if you search.

If they are not marked for tubeless they aren't compatible. Some have used them though with success.... what worries me is one guy experienced rapid deflation at speed. That's scary stuff!!
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    Hey Mike (MRIDDLE), How about spraying some soapy water, all over the wheel & tire, to find out exactly where the air is leaking from. It would be very interesting, at least to me, to know for sure. Thanks, Rick
                    I could try .. it takes several days for it to leak from 32 to upper 20s (last time was like 27) ..

Think a leak that small would show ?

I thought maybe it was just the aluminum rim was porous and letting the air seep out from many spots ..

Mike

Comment

I know that the '82's were supplied with tubes from the factory, as my bike still had the stock rubber on it ...the rims have no mention of tubless application on them....I think the '83 rims, which have a different design, are stamped "for tubeless tires", though some choose to run a tube......some also choose to run tubeless on the '82's, and I have not heard of any untoward incidents, apart from the need to frequently add a few pounds of air .....some attribute this to the porosity of the rims themselves, which were not designed to run tubeless. I have always used tubes in the tires on my '82...... the Sport Demons are great tires for this bike IMHO, as the previous post mentioned.

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

bead leaks

It's probably not so much porosity of the wheels as it is a small leak from where the tire bead seats on the rim. That's the usual culprit. Try putting some soapy water around where rubber meets aluminum.

Comment

I will try to do that this weekend .. let you know what I see.

Mike

Comment

Yes, a porus wheel could be the problem, or a valve stem, a valve core, a slight seep around the bead, or maybe a nail or piece of wire in the tire. I've ridden my CB1100F all summer & put air in it 2 times, After sitting all winter, it will be flat, I've just been too lazy to check it out. If possible, use a spray bottle to put soapy water all over everything, Keep rotating the wheel & watching, you won't see bubbels blowing, that small of a leak should make a little spot of foam, at the leak. It won't be real quick & easy, but just keep watching, you'll find it.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Now you have me curious ..

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X