Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lean down

Originally posted by crazedfooter View Post
    ironriot, you were right, the float heights were off but i don't think that was the problem because they were all off by about the same amount. 1-1.5 mm. #2 was about 1.1 off.

gonna get the tool for the valve adj. like i said they all seem pretty tight so we'll see what that does for me.

chucky (or anyone) how would i know if i had a burnt valve?
    Well, to start with, I really hope you don't but you've got to find out one way or another. I think you mentioned that your compression is low on #2 so....even if you did have problems with your petcock, your coils, your plugs, etc., that would have no effect on your compression.

If your compression is low, it's leaking somewhere. A cylinder 'leak down test' will tell you exactly at what point in the piston cycle, you're losing compression (and, thus, where the problem lies). The tool to do the test can be purchased for about 40 bucks from Harbor Freight but you would also need a compressor in order to do it.

You have to know what you're doing in order to diagnose it correctly but there are pretty good instructions available on the internet. Without the tester and compressor, I think I'd go ahead and pay someone to do it; if he knows what he's doing, he will be able to tell you exactly where and what your problem is. I hope it isn't too serious but please let us know when you figure it out. Good luck! (As I mentioned before, I'd start by adjusting the valves.)
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

So I checked the petcock (Yack!) and no leaks there. Went to the local salvage yard and yanked an ignition coil off a rotting carcass. Took it home, hooked it up... same issue. Other headers get HOT, #2 gets lukewarm. Lots of smoke coming from the junction of header #2 and the H-joint.

Never had the exhaust off, and no time like the present. Ripped it off, only breaking off one bolt. Headers are fine, H-joint is a rotted piece of swiss cheese. Pipes are good, no clogs. Wait, shouldn't there be a gasket where the headers meet the head? Like, maybe a remnant of a gasket, or film, or something? Nada, nowhere.

So now I gotta do the extract stuck bolt, replace nonexistent gaskets, replace holey H-joint, remount exhaust thing and see what I get.

Could my crappy exhaust be my problem, or am I just fixing another issue unrelated to the original?

(It was def. cool to make a 15 minute drive to a well stocked salvage yard... this will reduce my eBay visits significantly. They've got airboxes, rectifiers, and all sorts of goodies....)

Originally posted by Mr. Brown View Post
      I'm having the exact same problem on my GS850 right now. Same chamber even. Done the plug/wire/cap swap dance with no luck. Still have to do the petcock bong hit. My plug is very oily and gassy, so that could be a good lead...

You guys rock...:twisted: :-({|=

Comment

Mr Brown, generaly the exhaust gaskets are metal rings that go into the head. If you didnt have one, definately a source of problems but i dont think THE problem. Is your bike points or electronic ignition??

Comment

Did you ever do the valve job?

Comment

Yup, no gaskets.

Points... and I haven't touched those yet.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Mr Brown, generaly the exhaust gaskets are metal rings that go into the head. If you didnt have one, definately a source of problems but i dont think THE problem. Is your bike points or electronic ignition??

Comment

I would pull the carbs off, pull the pilots , look at them with light behind it if no light is visible the pilot is clogged. get an old piece of wire strip off the insulation and use the bare wire and run it through the jet use brake clean to get the crap out. then i would do a wet float height test. install carbs, replace plugs on all four, start and synch carbs.

Comment

mike, just ordered the motion pro adjusting tool, figured it would make life easier. valve job scheduled for sat or sun. I'll post the results.

nick

Comment

Originally posted by fcchavez View Post
                  I would pull the carbs off, pull the pilots , look at them with light behind it if no light is visible the pilot is clogged. get an old piece of wire strip off the insulation and use the bare wire and run it through the jet use brake clean to get the crap out. then i would do a wet float height test. install carbs, replace plugs on all four, start and synch carbs.
                  Clogged pilots would prevent his cylinder from getting gas. He seems to have a flood problem.

Comment

success...???...ish

holy crap, so i adjusted the vavles this morning at 5 am... that was fun. fired her up before i went to work and whatdya know #2 was hotter than crap, good right....well now #4 is doing what number two was doing:?.

the only things i changed though were the float height and the valve clearances. I spent a good bit of time on the float height with my new digital calipers :grin: so i am pretty sure thats not the problem.

guess i will pull the valve cover again and double check the valve adjustment tonight or tomarrow night, i had some trouble deciding when i was getting resistance from the valve clearances vs when the feeler gauge was rubbing on some other random part. apparently i should have triple checked.

hopefully that fixes the problem or im gonna think my bike is haunted.

EDIT...scratch that, i swapped plugs on one and four and promptly burned my fingers, oops. gonna go buy some new plugs. I am also wondering if i may have a short in the coils/wires and maybe just moving them around hooked something back up. who knows. I'm planning on some dyna coils and new wires anyhow so no biggy i guess.

thanks for the help everyone. you rock.
                    thanks for all the advice thusfar and the pm's to see how i was coming.

nick
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2007, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Gremlins don't live long 'round these parts.

Glad you're up and running.

Comment

Indeed! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                        X