No announcement yet.

3.5 cylinder bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same problem and the float height was off by .050 and the tube in the float bowl was stopped up.
    Chris

Comment

Sounds like a bad petcock or a bad spark plug, wire or spark plug cap.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i think the caps/wires need to be replaced as well but when i switch 2 and 3 the problem doesn't follow the #2 wire/cap, could that happen?

thanks for the pics on the float height measurement, gonna have to go pick up a set of calipers today.

nick

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem on my GS850 right now. Same chamber even. Done the plug/wire/cap swap dance with no luck. Still have to do the petcock bong hit. My plug is very oily and gassy, so that could be a good lead...

You guys rock...:twisted: :-({|=

Comment

Originally posted by crazedfooter View Post
            i think the caps/wires need to be replaced as well but when i switch 2 and 3 the problem doesn't follow the #2 wire/cap, could that happen?

thanks for the pics on the float height measurement, gonna have to go pick up a set of calipers today.

nick
            Sorry if you answered this already..but did you try swapping the plug itself to a different cyl and see if it fires there?? Its not inconceivable that the plug itself is bad...specailly if you are using CHAMPION garbage..(please say you're not)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Brown View Post
              I'm having the exact same problem on my GS850 right now. Same chamber even. Done the plug/wire/cap swap dance with no luck. Still have to do the petcock bong hit. My plug is very oily and gassy, so that could be a good lead...

You guys rock...:twisted: :-({|=
              Just don't spill the bong water Gross!
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Just don't spill the bong water Gross!
                ugh i remember that stink all to well...its one of those you never forget...lol

Comment

Originally posted by crazedfooter View Post
                  this may be a stupid question but how do you use a caliper to take that measurement?
                  I see that TheCafeKid already posted some pics, here are mine:

It helps if you turn the blade so it goes over the float to get an accurate measurement, but this shot shows you where to measure.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

hehe...much clearer pics steve..mine blurred a bit..plus yours show the CV place to measure...mine are mech carbs, so the floats are different Crazed but there ya go!

Comment

Anyone with the CV carbs, IF cyl #2 has problem. Disconnect & plug the vacuum line. Then run the bike on prime, Most of the time it will fix the problem, If not you still have a problem with the carbs

Comment

Sweet...but what is the problem that it is fixing? I dont have em, but just curious in case i run into it later on in GSing career.

Comment

I'd definitely recommend checking your valve clearances. You don't have shims, so it's not a hard job and it's always great to know.

Comment

checked the clearances tonight, they are all a bit tight, i couldn't get the .038 mm into any of em really. so, im gonna try to adjust that tomorrow and see if that helps.

sqdancer did the prime with the pluged vacum line, no change.

Comment

Cold cylinder

You may possibly have a burned valve since you mention that your compression is low in #2. Blown head gasket would also be possible but probably unlikely.

If adjusting the valves doesn't do the trick, I think you should perform a leak down test which will most likely indicate where the problem lies. By all means, let us know; if you do a search, you'll find scads of other threads that are strikingly similar. I'm really curious to know what you find!
                              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

ironriot, you were right, the float heights were off but i don't think that was the problem because they were all off by about the same amount. 1-1.5 mm. #2 was about 1.1 off.

gonna get the tool for the valve adj. like i said they all seem pretty tight so we'll see what that does for me.

chucky (or anyone) how would i know if i had a burnt valve?

Comment

Working...
                                X