No indicator lights on panel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No indicator lights on panel...

82' GS850. About 2 months ago I had all the indicator lights on the instrument panel working except for the gear lights 2,4 and 5. And slowly I didn't have any gear lights indicating me of what gear I was in. No big deal. Everything else worked. Then slowly sometimes the highbeam light would not work. Then just very recently (1 week ago) no lights on the panel worked, not even when I turned the key to the on position. Everything works on the bike itself including signals, headlights, brake lights on pedal/lever and horn. But there is no panel lights at all. Starts fine, idles fine. The other day, I checked the fuses and none of them were blown. Maybe replace them anyways? I am not an electrician by any means and would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out as simplistic as possible. Thanks again guys,
    John.

If everything else works, I would check the main plug for corrosion. You could have finally burned out all your little lights, too. I had a few that were burned out.... easy fix.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I coulda sworn someone said something like the power to the panel lights were routed through the oil pres switch. Maybe Im dreaming. Do a search.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Where abouts is the main plug located?? Thanks.

Comment

I'm not sure on your bike, but you should be able to trace the wires back from your gauge cluster.... they should all group up and go to a plug. On my 1000, the plug is on the left side of the frame right by the neck.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Ok. I am going to bleed the brakes and change the secondary and final drive gear oil for the first time. I will take a look at the wires when the tank is off and I can try to find if anything is corroded. Thanks.

Comment

It looks like your bike has a few plugs....this might help

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Thanks renobruce. My bike is the GZ, not the GL. But I went and found the GZ. It kind of looks like I will be taking some things apart to look at if anything is corroted or not connected. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  I coulda sworn someone said something like the power to the panel lights were routed through the oil pres switch. Maybe Im dreaming. Do a search.
                  I thought I remembered this (old age...)

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Wow bonanzadave. That is some really good memory and is very useful. I printed out the schematic for the speedometer-tachometer on that alpha-sports website. Hopefully it will be a simple fix as I have never taken any of the panel, or really looked at any of the wires and connections before because it was always working and as I believe if something isn't broken, then why should a newb go fishing through wires and connectors if he doesn't have to, ya know??? Lol. But seriously thanks and I hope it isn't something really serious as I do not have that voltmeter or whatever it is to see what wires are good or not. I am going to shortly take a quick ride, change the secondary and final gear oil. Then I am going to bleed both brakes. After that, I will tackle the wiring situation. So I will post probably much later on today. Thanks again. -John-.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
                      I believe if something isn't broken, then why should a newb go fishing through wires and connectors if he doesn't have to, ya know??? -John-.

Ill have to agree with that but this is an exception. Do like Steve suggested. All it takes is a can of spray electrical contact cleaner and some dielectric grease (optional). Open up the headlight bucket and disconnect, spray and grease each connector one at a time and then reconnect. Continue down the frame and back to the battery and fuse box and do every connector.

This is mandatory preventive maintenance. Its as easy as putting air in your tires.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

I only got to change the secondary and final gear oil today. I will bleed the brakes and check out the wiring situation with that spray and grease. My instrument panel does have 2 things that light up on it: 1) Left and right signals. 2) Side stand light works. But everthing else does not. Even with the key turned to the "on" position, there is no lights. Thanks for the advice and will keep you posted on my results.

Comment

Do the Stator Papers. If your R/R is going the first thing to blow would be the small lights.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Some time later with all the wiring... 82' 850, 22K. On the instrument panel when the key is in the "on" pos, it displays high/low beam light and neutral light. No oil light though. If I were to switch right/left blinker, it indicates such on the panel. Side stand light indicates as well when side stand is down. When running, everything works externally on the bike: blinkers, headlight, front/rear brake light. None of the 1-5 gear indicators indicate which gear it is in. Neutral is the only one that lights up on the panel when it is in neutral. I first took panel indicator apart to see if any bulbs where blown. I replaced all 8 anyways just in case. Still nothing. I looked at the little bulbs for the gear indicator lights and none where blown, all where secure. I checked the one connection on the panel which is connected. When I took the headlight off to see the cluster of wires behind it, I really didn't take any connectors apart and spray them with anything. I just made sure they were connected as they were. I was kinda weiry about even attempting to pull them apart because the connectors are kinda old and it is cold outside as I do not have a garage, just a shed with no light/heat. Anyways I didn't want to pry the connectors apart because they might snap. I have not checked underneath the gas tank connections. Before I replaced the bulbs in the panel, I did not have a neutral light. After replacing all the blubs, I now have a neutral light. Any thoughts/ideas for a newb to look at having no volt meter?? Just kinda worried about the oil light indicator light not lighting when the key is in the "on" position. Any negatives if the oil light doesn't come on when in the "on" pos?? Next sat 12/15 I am going to replace all the gaskets in my vesrah gasket kit at my mechanics shop. I am going to check the oil pressure then, I have been riding and just didn't know if I am causing harm to my bike with the oil light not on. Thanks alot for taking the time to read this and replying as well guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X