Katana 1100 SD 1983 gas flowed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katana 1100 SD 1983 gas flowed!

1st off, just spent $960 with bikebandit, they were very professional and did a great job with my order.....
    Anyway, I am restoring this Kat for a customer and he wants the head gas flowed, (dont ask me why, but he does) do any of you guys know anyone that does that line of work?

Here's 2 pics of it..........

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

I build Race engines & do LOTS of head porting & I am pretty sure he is referring to having the head FLOW TESTED. If he wants to port the head then I would say "Yes" flow test it. I flow all of the heads I do so it goes hand in hand with the porting. If he is going to leave the head STOCK it would be a waste of time to flow test it as they flow LESS than 100CFM in stock form. If I can help you let me know. I used to work in R&D at Vance & Hines & got to learn from the BEST! Ray.

Comment

The owner is the original owner, he bought it new in 83, he is now 50 years old, he asked me to port/tune it, I asked him why? the engine is stock and never been opened, he advises "to beat the locals on their GSXR1000's"
      I told him he was bloody crazy, I further told him that this is 80's technology and the GSXR's are 2000's technology, but he insisted he wants it really fast!!!

I have begged him just let me do the full restoration and leave the engine stock, but he is determined he wants it fast!
      Hey, it's his money not mine!

I guess, if he wants it done, he can go ahead and send the head off, i'll charge him to strip/rebuild the motor, I really didn't want to go into the engine as it's perfect!

Comment

If there is ANY way possible, PLEASE try to talk him out of trying to make THAT particular bike that fast. Please explain to him the VALUE of that bike in STOCK form & the fact that it would take a near DRAG RACE motor to beat some of the faster street bikes of today. Also, the chassis & brakes would require SERIOUS modification to keep the bike safe at those power & speed levels. He would have to put bigger wheels & tires on it, better suspension, frame bracing, & on & on. If he insists on this project try to talk him into finding a BEATER Katana to do all of this to instead of one as nice as the one he has. Then when he gets tired of the MAINTENANCE involved in the modified bike, he will still have a VERY nice, RESTORED bike to go put miles on! I would like for you to show him this post if you can as I LOVE big GS motors on the street for myself, but I build & maintain them & KNOW how much work & TIME is involved in keeping them up. My street bike is a 1400 cc motor but it requires certain maintenance be done to keep it rideable. Hope this helps. If he still wants to do it I can build him a similar motor to mine for about $6000.00. It will be as NEAR bulletproof as you can get but will need to be tuned & treated correctly. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

Ray is right!

Comment

Some people have too much money and no brains. The money gives them a sense of entitlement and superiority and over rides any common sense.

My first thoughts would be like the rest of the guys...try and talk him out of it but from what you say he is not to be swayed. Then, as you mention, take his money.

It would be interesting if you could have a pre and post appraisal done and present that to him after you get his cash. A nice, "I told you so" moment. Of course, with that bozzo it is likely to go right over his head.

What a twit.

Good luck with that.

Spyug.

Comment

He's gonna need more than head work to beat 07 Gixxers... methinks a lot more.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I know, he can get an 07 Gixxer and put Katana body parts on it so someone might think they got blown away by an 80s bike.

Comment

I told him today that I really dont want to open the motor, and if he wants engine work he needs to have some one pick it up, or just go buy a Gixxer.
                  I think he gets the message!

Comment

Working...
                  X