Whats the best Pilot Jet cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the best Pilot Jet cleaner?

I am not a big fan of cleaning jets, I usually replace them. I have an 801100E and a 91GSX1100G that needs the pilot jets unclogged. Replacements are expensive for the G, so I am willing to try to clean these. What is the best cleaner to use? Some guys recommend Mineral spirits for a one hour soak. Is this the best cleaner for the jets?

A friend of mine uses mag wheel cleaner. Its a blend of acids thats pretty nasty stuff. The label on Eagle Mag wheel cleaner says not for motorcycle wheels and dont dispose down the drain. Yeah, nasty. Makes jets look like new.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I recommend using carb dip. If you don't have any use some carb spray shot into a cup. After soaking for a while, try pokeing through the orifice with a small wire (clip off one brissle of a wire brush). Just be careful so you don't gouge out the metal in the jet thus changing the flow characteristics.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You could probably also soak them in Seafoam too or I've had good experience recently with "Gum out" Max strength. These additives would work neat as a soak I'm sure...

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

If all else fails, go with laquer thinner, my standard small metalic parts cleaner.

Comment

Carb cleaner in a spray can works if you have the nozzle to direct the flow.

Place the end of the extension against the jet and blow.

If not, use a single wire bristle, snipped from a wire brush.

Once the bristle is pushed through, remove it and use the carb cleaner to blow the jet completely clean. This step is a MUST.

Remember that you must blow from the same end of the jet as you began the push with the bristle. This is because the tiny bit of junk that was clogging the area may have stuck to the bristle, and got back into the jet, or it may have been pushed off to one side.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I recommend using carb dip. If you don't have any use some carb spray shot into a cup. After soaking for a while, try pokeing through the orifice with a small wire (clip off one brissle of a wire brush). Just be careful so you don't gouge out the metal in the jet thus changing the flow characteristics.
              Ditto. Get a big can of Berrymans b12 chemtool.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey the B12 dip left a funky black coating of.... I don't know what.... on my carbs. And trying to clean gets me nowhere. What gives? Does this regularly happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
                  Hey the B12 dip left a funky black coating of.... I don't know what.... on my carbs. And trying to clean gets me nowhere. What gives? Does this regularly happen?
                  Was it a new can or did someone dip black painted carbs in it?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Brand new can... Although I did dip some really gunky stuff in there.... BUT hey I thought it was a dip after all so I didn't think twice about it

Comment

i 2nd the single wire brush "wire".

Works like a charm
                      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

I love Hondabrite they sell it at most honda dealers. Soak the parts for 24 hours then use a single wire from a wire brush . Use to work at a bike shop and would spend the first month of every season doing carbs .

Comment

Working...
                        X