oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak

oil seeping around base gasket, any easy fix? maybe engine stop leak stuff? help

Time for a new gasket?

Hi Mr. sterlingmarlin30,

I'll speak from my limited experience, if I may. That doesn't sound like an easy fix. I've never been a fan of "fix-it" additives either. First, be certain of where you are leaking. Clean the engine well, then use a spray powder (antiperspirant, foot powder, etc) to cover the suspected area. This makes it much easier to spot the exact location. You can try re-torquing the engine bolts. Some riders will use some kind of gooey, goopy gorilla snot products to try and stop leaks. I'm not a fan of those either.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Do as Cliff says and see if that is really where the oil is coming from. If it is more than likely you have to do a top end removal. Good time to do valve seals, check guides, check cylinder bore, and re-ring.

Maybe and a BIG maybe you can retourque the head bolts and seal it but doubtful.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

can i pile on here?
          for those that find this via the search function,

wipe down the engine,
          go for a ride...
          then take a piece of paper ,fold it in half, sprinkle baby powder/ foot powder/talc powder ( your wife or gf has this in the bathroom already) blow it on the leak and trace it to the source...(it'll stick to the oil and fall off the metal...)
          you could be surprised where its coming from...

then fix it, OR ....
          pretend its a harley...:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by OhioEric View Post

then fix it, OR ....
            pretend its a harley...:shock:

Yep, we've all has a Hardley at one point or another.

The base gaskets get really hard over 20+ yrs, and will just stop sealing. ****ty job too, since you have to scrape the old gasket from the around the cylinder sleeves on the jug and avoid dropping stuff into the crank on the case side, not to mention everything above it.

But hey, it's winter (at least here). Good time to see what you broke over the summer.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
            X