Dry Rot tires. What can be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Rot tires. What can be done?

I have read a lot of articles on how to prevent tires from dry rotting, but I can't find anything that suggest what can be done if your tires already show signs of dry rot. My tires have a lot of tread left on them and I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to prolong their life instead of replacing the tires.

I don't know that much about tire compounds but I have worked with many other polymers over the years in my job. As they age (UV light, oxygen, and heat are the killers) the chemical structure changes (crosslinking etc...) and elasticity has been permently reduced. Unfortunately I doubt there is anything you can do the reverse the process.

Comment

I agree with Gary. Tires are too important to the saftey of your bike to even think of cutting corners. Get new ones & take steps to protect 'em!

Terry

Comment

...and next time keep your tires in a dark, oxygen free, air conditioned room.

Comment

Replace them. Not only are they more prone to blow, but your traction is seriously reduced. I sereiously doubt there's any way to couteract it. I've heard of putting protectant on your tires to prevent it, but I'd never try it on bike tires. I think sitting outside exposed is mainly what causes it (quickly) if you can keep it out of the sun and elements the new tires should not dry rot any time soon.

Comment

My friend bought a scooter with 30 year old tires and they are fine. The scoot was kept in a basement for ever so they tires never saw sunlight.

He is going to replace the tires this year even though he argued with the mechanic who safetied them. Vulcanized tires seem to last if they aren't put out in the light. That's why motorhomes have tire covers.

Steve

Comment

The advice for the future is valid, but your immediate concern is to get new tires. You cannot reverse the process, and if they already show signs of rot then you must scrap them right now!

Remember, please, you have no other safety items on the bike, only peripherals. Literally everything depends on your tires, and they are already compromised.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

What if the bike is garage for more than one year. The tires still look fine but it is a couple of years old - Is it still usable?

Comment

If the bike has been garaged for a year, and the tires were new when it was put away, they are probably fine. Ultraviolet light and ground-level ozone are the most common tire killers, and both are unavoidable while the bike is outside.

Check the tire walls for tiny cracks / checks in the rubber while the pressure is low. You get more flex then, and it is easier to see the marks.

Inflate them to normal pressure and check them again.

Make sure you that you have good light when you do this.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

When they're 6 years old they must be replaced......

According to an article I read in Wing World magazine, it was explained that any tire past 6 years old is junk even if it has never been installed on a machine. It seems that the curing process in tires keeps on keeping on till the tire is useless.

Sunlight, harsh chemicals and heat just speed this process along, not to mention the mighty torque of a good running GS.

Get some new tires if you value your life and machine because blowouts really suck at high speeds.

If you can, contact the tire manufacturer and give them the serial number of the tires you're buying and they will tell you when the tires you're buying were actually new. Some low volume dealers may have had the tires you'd like to purchase on their shelf for 5 years or more, then you'll be wondering why your new tires dry rotted so swiftly.

Comment

The last 3 digits of the dot # on the tire are it's week and year of manufacture. 302 would be the 30th week of 2002, for example.

bill

Comment

Re: When they're 6 years old they must be replaced......

Originally posted by Doinfine
                        Some low volume dealers may have had the tires you'd like to purchase on their shelf for 5 years or more, then you'll be wondering why your new tires dry rotted so swiftly.
                        Yeah, I got a NOS tire from a dealer, it was a Michelin (me5?) but it was obviously old despite the fact that I ordered a brand new Chen Shin and waited 2 weeks for it. It's dry rotted and it's been under 10 months

Comment

Slightly off thread, but beware buying NOS gaskets for the same reason. I've bought NOS genuine Suzuki gaskets that must have been over 20 years old, and some have been dry and crumbly, and have leaked. When compared to a new gasket you can see the difference.

Anyway, beware.

Comment

Working...
                          X