Clutch Chronicles Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Chronicles Search

As I have searched, I have had some mixed results on Syn oil, but that's not what I want to get into to.

This is my experience... I bought the bike with 17,600 on her and the clutch did not slip, BUT it did seem to catch early with a really long friction zone... i.e. I let the clutch out about 1'' and the engine would start to bog a tad and the bike would move but I could freely rev the bike. I would not be fully engauged until almost the last part of the clutch throw was fully released.

I figured grooves in the basket maybe giving me a bit of fuss.

I read that it may be the spring plate under the paino wire in the drum could be the culprit.

I decided to switch to Rotella 5 40 in the blue jug. Clutch operation seemed better after a few rides, wasn't grabbing as early and engauged smoother. Well a few weeks ago she decided to slip on a second gear blast and I thought well maybe in the excitement I rode the clutch. So I made sure to be completely off of the clutch and went WOT only to find more slip so I let off right away. I went home and checked the free play in the lever, cable operates very smooth, so I figured chaulk it up to running syn in an old clutch and/or weak springs. But wait, there is a rattle as well.

Findings

Hub nut was a tad loose, but when I bent the safety washer straight I could no longer turn the hub nut? Was I imagining that I could turn the hub nut because I sure as heck couldn't get it to move after straightening the washer and had to get a big wrench out of the tool box.

Measurements

Sping free height 38.85mm across the board

These will be replaced with Suzuki OEM springs, bolts, inner spring guides

I measured an average of 1.97mm on the steels... aren't blue, warped and look brand new with the perforated holes in them

drive plate (frictions)

I measure 2.97-2.95mm on them as well.

I have no intentions of replacing the steels, figured a good cleaning and scuffing would bring them to reusable condition

The drum does have the three big springs a tad loose in the back. I am sure some will say that I could get away with it and some would say to send it of to one of the two reputable guys and another would say order Suzi OEM which is what I plan to do. The drum has ever-so-slight markes in the splines that you can barely feel with your finger but they are there. I understand that Suzi has supposedly made an update to their drums according to Falicon (read from a post on here)

I have also read that Suzi has revised frictions and APE still has the old style although it was a bit nebulous as to which style is the better style.

Some would say that because the hub nut was loose to get a hub... I am still wondering if I was imagining that darn thing being loose or if it was the washer that moved, but here is another debated topic.

Suzi oem nut, used by many for many years, replace it as you take it off along with the washer VS. datada DAAAA APE's manly hub nut in which you could take out Superman with it and then reinstall it back on the ol GS.

I definitely can NOT say that money is no objection...wish it was. More like biting the bullet.

I was thinking new frictions 12.78 each x 9 for a 115.02 total
    For all new springs, bolts, washers and spacer 6.4 x 6 for another 38.40

Which would be order number one to qualify me for free shipping.

Next month grab the :edited: (I meant to say basket) for 174.33
    Nut and washer ___ to go APE or not

And a clutch release bearing... But wait there's more

Bike needs tires... expensive
    Fork seals cheap
    Gotta check the shims hopefully won't need too many

Borrowed time components

Stator
    regulator
    coils

not cheap ^^^^

Any thoughts or opions are welcome.

I did think about just replacing the clutch springs for now and order up new parts for it over the summer and do the rest next winter, but if she still slips, I suppose I could go to non energy label castrol GTX 10-40 as my dad has never had any problems with his bike and that's all his bike has ever used. I'm just the person that knows either you pay now or pay later.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2007, 02:41 PM.

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
    As I have searched, I have had some mixed results on Syn oil, but that's not what I want to get into to.

This is my experience... I bought the bike with 17,600 on her and the clutch did not slip, BUT it did seem to catch early with a really long friction zone... i.e. I let the clutch out about 1'' and the engine would start to bog a tad and the bike would move but I could freely rev the bike. I would not be fully engauged until almost the last part of the clutch throw was fully released.

I figured grooves in the basket maybe giving me a bit of fuss.

I read that it may be the spring plate under the paino wire in the drum could be the culprit.

I decided to switch to Rotella 5 40 in the blue jug. Same stuff I use in bikes and cars. Clutch operation seemed better after a few rides, wasn't grabbing as early and engauged smoother. Well a few weeks ago she decided to slip on a second gear blast and I thought well maybe in the excitement I rode the clutch. So I made sure to be completely off of the clutch and went WOT only to find more slip so I let off right away. I went home and checked the free play in the lever, cable operates very smooth, so I figured chaulk it up to running syn in an old clutch and/or weak springs. But wait, there is a rattle as well.

Findings

Hub nut was a tad loose, but when I bent the safety washer straight I could no longer turn the hub nut? Was I imagining that I could turn the hub nut because I sure as heck couldn't get it to move after straightening the washer and had to get a big wrench out of the tool box.

Measurements

Sping free height 38.85mm across the board Not sure what specs are for your bike.

These will be replaced with Suzuki OEM springs, bolts, inner spring guides

I measured an average of 1.97mm on the steels... aren't blue, warped and look brand new with the perforated holes in them

drive plate (frictions)

I measure 2.97-2.95mm on them as well. Is this in-spec?

I have no intentions of replacing the steels, figured a good cleaning and scuffing would bring them to reusable condition I agree.

The drum does have the three big springs a tad loose in the back. I am sure some will say that I could get away with it and some would say to send it of to one of the two reputable guys and another would say order Suzi OEM which is what I plan to do. The drum has ever-so-slight markes in the splines that you can barely feel with your finger but they are there. I understand that Suzi has supposedly made an update to their drums according to Falicon (read from a post on here)

I have also read that Suzi has revised frictions and APE still has the old style although it was a bit nebulous as to which style is the better style.

Some would say that because the hub nut was loose to get a hub... I am still wondering if I was imagining that darn thing being loose or if it was the washer that moved, but here is another debated topic.

Suzi oem nut, used by many for many years, replace it as you take it off along with the washer VS. datada DAAAA APE's manly hub nut in which you could take out Superman with it and then reinstall it back on the ol GS.

I definitely can NOT say that money is no objection...wish it was. More like biting the bullet.
    that
    I was thinking new frictions 12.78 each x 9 for a 115.02 total
    For all new springs, bolts, washers and spacer 6.4 x 6 for another 38.40

Which would be order number one to qualify me for free shipping.
    If money is that critical, just get a gasket, don't worry about the shipping costs. Place a washer behind each spring as a shim to add just a bit of pressure.

Next month grab the hub for 174.33
    Nut and washer ___ to go APE or not

And a clutch release bearing... But wait there's more

Bike needs tires... expensive Look at the Cheng Shin Hi-Max from Tires Unlimited. Decent tires, long-lasting, good grip. Most expensive front tire is $55, most expensive rear is $65.

Fork seals cheap
    Gotta check the shims hopefully won't need too many Shims are available from Z1 Enterprises for under $5 each. Send me an e-mail (click on my name for address) and I will send you a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet to help inventory your shims and determine which one to use.

Borrowed time components

Stator
    regulator
    coils

not cheap ^^^^

Any thoughts or opions are welcome.

I did think about just replacing the clutch springs for now and order up new parts for it over the summer and do the rest next winter, but if she still slips, I suppose I could go to non energy label castrol GTX 10-40 (This is also a good oil, but there is nothing wrong with the Rotella, either) as my dad has never had any problems with his bike and that's all his bike has ever used. I'm just the person that knows either you pay now or pay later.
    This is a bunch of words to make the system think I have typed something here.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Doubt all of this trouble was caused by oil. I have run; Royal Purple syn,(ok) Amsoil syn, (very good) Honda GN4 dino,(good) and Honda HP4(way pricey).

These were all run at different times, but with the original stock clutch.
      I have an '80 GS1000G 40K mi. lightly modded which I ride very hard. I haven't had any slippage issues. Though I have heard that certain aftermarket fibers may work better specificaly w/dino or syn depending on if they were organic or kevlar.

Comment

You have to be careful adding shims under the clutch springs since it can cause the springs to coil bind. Check first to make sure there is clearance before adding springs.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Man, are you overthinking this...

Put the bike on the kickstand and replace the clutch springs and clutch cover gasket. (No need to drain the oil, since it's out of the way when the bike is tilted to the left.)

This takes about 15 minutes, and there's about a 99% chance new OEM springs are all you need to eliminate the slip.

Use whatever oil you want -- synthetic doesn't make clutches slip.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Springs will fix it usually.
            If not, do it again, it takes less time than it took you to type your first post.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

heheh maybe even faster than it took tKent to post his post two times...lol

Comment

The spec for the fibers is 2.9-3.1mm and I measured 2.95 to 2.97 on mine. Basically means I have .05-.07mm of additional material on the fibers.

I would go with new springs, bolts, guides so as to not worry about coil bind or old bolt failure... I can afford these items.... Christmas funds will allow \\/

The fibers were on the low end, but maybe I am over concerning myself? I ride about 1G-2G miles a year, and while the quick blast is had once in a blue moon I don't forsee any drag strip time in the near future.

I figured the oil probably didn't have squat to do with it other than expose weak springs.

Comment

Criss cross the steels with 220 wet-sandpaper. Those fibers should go another couple of years. Put in new springs even though they are in spec. (38mm?)
                  Make sure you have play in the clutch lever when cold and down right slop when warm.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I just wanted to follow up:

New OEM springs, double stacked washers, criss crossed steels with 220 and reassembled.

Used NEW OEM hub nut and washer

NO SLIPPAGE.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                      I just wanted to follow up:

New OEM springs, double stacked washers, criss crossed steels with 220 and reassembled.

Good to know. Im gonna do it this weekend. \\/
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                      X