Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignition coils...can the wrong ones blow your main fuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition coils...can the wrong ones blow your main fuse?

Hey everyone....please read what a guy at DynaOnline.com told me...

Scott...the six digit number on the Accel coils is: 140404
    ~Rudi~

Ah ha! I was afraid that might be the case! These are 0.7 ohm coils and hare not compatible with the Dyna S ignition. You need the 3 ohm version of these coils, P/N 140403, for proper operation. Our DC1-1, 3 ohm coils would be a good choice too. ;^) Hope this helps.

Scott
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anybody confirm what he wrote? Right now, everytime I try to start the bike, the main fuse blows. The guy at DyanOnline (scott) says it's due to my ignition coils being incompatable with the Dyna ignition system.

Does this sound right? Could that cause my main fuse to blow????

thanks!

Rudi

Does not sound right to me Rudy, but not for obvious reasons. You are blowing the main fuse instead of the ignition fuse and that is a puzzle.

My GS1100G has a 10 amp ignition fuse and a 15 amp main, and I believe are the GS1100's all the same.

It is reasonable to expect the lower-rated fuse to go first, but you are blowing the higher-rated fuse repeatedly, so if your fuses are correct, then the coil cannot be the cause.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: Ignition coils...can the wrong ones blow your main fuse?

Rudi
      I do know that Dyna specifies 3 ohm coils for their Dyna S. I always assumed that was because anything with less resistance would overload/cause failure in the Dyna electronics. I would tend to believe the tech guy. My understanding is that you may use either a 3 ohm or a 5 ohm coil with the "S" system. The 5 ohm coils on my dyna never caused a fuse to blow.

Earl

Originally posted by Rudi
      Hey everyone....please read what a guy at DynaOnline.com told me...

Scott...the six digit number on the Accel coils is: 140404
      ~Rudi~

Ah ha! I was afraid that might be the case! These are 0.7 ohm coils and hare not compatible with the Dyna S ignition. You need the 3 ohm version of these coils, P/N 140403, for proper operation. Our DC1-1, 3 ohm coils would be a good choice too. ;^) Hope this helps.

Scott
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anybody confirm what he wrote? Right now, everytime I try to start the bike, the main fuse blows. The guy at DyanOnline (scott) says it's due to my ignition coils being incompatable with the Dyna ignition system.

Does this sound right? Could that cause my main fuse to blow????

thanks!

Rudi
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Sounds like a very good anser, There was something awhile back about problems with Accel coils/ was wrong application also. have you tried to start it with the power to the coils disconnected? If so does it still blow the fuse. It could blow the main fuse depends on how you wired the Dyna Ign into the GS wiring harness. Is the power wired to the battery or thru the ign fuse. 3 ohm is the preferred coil.

Comment

I cant give the technical reason but lowering the resistance of the load would allow more current to flow. I have a hard time believing that it would take the main fuse out before it would either dammage the coil which is designed for a diferent application or trash the ignitor box which again is also designed for less current flow. Ohms law stuff as i see it. I have a feeling that there is another problem unless the ignitor setup can take a lot of current.

Comment

I also considered that Scotty. The problem is that although resistance is less and there is the capability of more current flow, flow cannot exceed demand.
            I'm thinking the .7 ohm coils must cause a change in the cycling time of the sensors and that if they cause this change relative to the value of the resistance then maybe this results in an increase in power consumption by factors of 4 to 7. Just a guess though.

Earl

[quote="slopoke"]I cant give the technical reason but lowering the resistance of the load would allow more current to flow.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X