Reinstalling stock exhaust system...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstalling stock exhaust system...

I'm getting ready to reinstall my stock exhaust on my 1981 Suzuki GS550T. When I removed them, it was a real pain getting them off all in one piece and out from under the bike. My question is this. Can I bolt on the outer two pipes/mufflers individually and then slide the inner two pipes (one piece) into the outer two under the engine and then bolt the inner two onto the top of the engine? Or does it all have to go up in one piece?

That should work. Get some permatex muffler bandage for the connections. It is just like the original stuff but only costs 3 dollars, enough for two jobs. I would also use new clamps if you can.

I did a 650 3 years ago and we got the pipes on in one piece but there were two of us, that made a difference.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Hi Chuck - I don't have any good advice for you except that the one time I did this, it seems stuff was "loose" ! Reason I replied though, was to ask you how you were able to post the nice large picture to your post? All I can seem to attach is a pretty minimal thumbnail when I've tried

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SPARKSS View Post
        Hi Chuck - I don't have any good advice for you except that the one time I did this, it seems stuff was "loose" ! Reason I replied though, was to ask you how you were able to post the nice large picture to your post? All I can seem to attach is a pretty minimal thumbnail when I've tried

Thanks
        1) Post photo on Photobucket.com or similar.

2) Copy the "IMG Code" under the photo you uploaded at Photobucket and Paste it into the body of your post here.

3) Congratulate yourself on a job well done. \\/
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          1) Post photo on Photobucket.com or similar.

2) Copy the "IMG Code" under the photo you uploaded at Photobucket and Paste it into the body of your post here.

3) Congratulate yourself on a job well done. \\/
          Yeah, what he said. Another advantage of doing it that way is that you can do four of them in one post, but be aware that the smilies also count in that four. 8-[

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckster View Post
            I'm getting ready to reinstall my stock exhaust on my 1981 Suzuki GS550T. When I removed them, it was a real pain getting them off all in one piece and out from under the bike. My question is this. Can I bolt on the outer two pipes/mufflers individually and then slide the inner two pipes (one piece) into the outer two under the engine and then bolt the inner two onto the top of the engine? Or does it all have to go up in one piece?
            Hey Chuckster what did you use to paint those things? That looks really good

Comment

Looks like a powdercoat or ceramic coat... I'm impressed if that's a rattle can!

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                Looks like a powdercoat or ceramic coat... I'm impressed if that's a rattle can!

Dan
                That's what I'm hoping so I can replicate

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, it is indeed a rattle can job. The chrome on my pipes looked really bad and I had some surface rust, but they were still solid. So I stripped the rust with my Dremel and a drum sander attachment. Went over every inch of the pipes. I used a wire brush attachment on my drill to get where I couldn't reach with the Dremel. I had a few dings here and there that I filled in with a metal filler called "Lab-Metal" and sanded it down. It's good stuff. I then used a rust neutralizer/metal prep (I can't remember the brand, but I got it at Lowes). It turns what leftover rust remains to a black color. Then I wiped them down with some rubbing alcohol. To paint them, I used a 1200 degree ceramic-based product from Dupli-Color. I sprayed them with the gray primer first and then with the black. You may run through two cans of each depending on how many coats you want to do. I have seen it for sell at AutoZone, Pep boys, and Advanced Auto if you have any of those in your area. They are by no means fit for a show bike, but they look much better than they did. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by SPARKSS View Post

Thanks
                    I think some of the other guys addressed your question already. I use Photobucket myself. :-D

Comment

That was a good question that I'd never given thought to. I need to one day remove the exhaust from my 1150 to repair damage to the oil drain plug from p/o's, although if it can be somehow done on the bike, I'd certainly go that route. Would not mind refinishing the exhaust either but I have not begun to figure how I'd replicate the oem finish. Good picture! It does look like a powder coat job. Your prep time was well spent. Be sure to post another after installation!

Comment

Man I sure agree that it's a fine looking paint job there Chuck! Also thanks your ownself 'n others for the photobucket tip

Comment

Get yourself an oversize drain plug from one of the large auto parts stores. They have ones that cut their own thread in Aluminium.

Put it on the bike then take it off & make sure you flush it through with plenty of oil.

You could stuff a rag in first & then pulling it out should remove most of the intial bits.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X