Headlight Bucket Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Bucket Q

What GS's if any had a 7 inch bucket? Im looking for one, if not here, on ebay, and no one lists sizes apparently. I dunno either, so i figured id ask here...

Thanks!!

TCK

It's almost easier to say which ones did not have a 7" bucket.

Some of the smaller bikes, 250s, 300s and some 400s.
    All of the L models
    The S models that had the 8" bucket
    Was it the 1100 or 1150 that had the square light?

I could be mistaken (and probably am), but this is a good starting point.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A little clarification please. Are you looking for a bucket that is 7" in diameter or one that will take a 7" headlamp ( about 8" diameter)?

Not to be a wisenheimer but wouldn't any 8" bucket work? Unless of course it is a restoration you are doing and you want a type specific.

I don't know of specific Suzuki product but I believe some of the early Yammies and Hondas ( and likely Kaws as they were all fairly standard back in the day) were. My XS is a 7" headlamp in an 8" bucket (just measured it again) and I beleive so were the ones on my Virago and XS 400.

I might have one kicking around and I'll check.

Hope this helps.
      Spyug.

Comment

I've got a 450 headlight. I think its a 7". Its the black plastic one with a chrome ring. PM if you want to make a deal.

Comment

Ok lemme clarify a lil ...I have a fairing coming that has a 7 inch opening *says opening for 7 inch headlight, dunno if that means assmbly or just the light itself* I have H4 projector beam headlights coming that are 7 inches. I need a bucket that will accomodate these. My headlight currently measures 8 inches across. Thanks all!

TCK

Comment

Lee PM sent...

Comment

The opening on that fairing is about 7.5" max & then it slopes in towards the back. You won't fit the 8" bucket in there that was my problem.

The Lamp itself is 7" the bucket is closer to 8" on my GS1000G. You need a 7" bucket so the lamp is likely to be 6-6.5".

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Gotcha...I think im going to have a hard time with this...so i may be doing some cutty cutty on that fairing. I still need a bucket however! If anyone has one...

Comment

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I haven't had a chance to rut through my stash but I will check tonight.

I did have a thought that you might not need a bucket if the sealed beam is going in a fairing. If you could fab up some kind of frame for it. Essentially that is all that holds in the beam on my 83 750E and on the ESs.

Also with all the recent talk about fiberglass fabrication I think you could make a bucket yourself if forced.

I'll scout around for you.

Cheers,
                  Spyug.

Comment

Thanks Spyug..appreciate it much!!

TCK

Comment

Now that I know what you're measuring for, I'll set you up with dimensions for the 450 headlight that I have. If you could make your light fit in the fairing without a bucket, could you maybe just lay fiberglass over the back of it, essentially creating a bucket that is part of the fairing? You would have to figure out an adjustement system, unless you're not that picky about where your headlight is pointed.

Comment

well if i can avoid that, id like to have the bucket, as the fairing mounts to the fork ears. Barring that i guess i could simply adjust the headlight by moving the fairing itself. But again id like to have a bucket...I may even have to cut the fairing a bit if need be, but that shouldnt be a big issue.

Comment

Also Lee if your 450 bucket will accept a 7 inch bulb, it will prolly be a winner. Let me know whatcha got when ya get the chance and thanks again!

TCK

Comment

Josh .. I just found that headlight and measured it.

Across the outside ring of the bucket is about 7"

Across the glass is about 6.5"

The bucket at the widest is about 7.25" (gets fatter behind the ring)

It is in good shape except there is a little bit of rash on the outside of the ring about the size of a computer key .. not very deep.

Did you say that it would be inside a fairing anyway ?

What you tink ?

Mike

Comment

Sounds like a winner Mike! How much would you want for it? I wonder if it WOULD take a 7 inch bulb tho? No matter if these dont work i'll find some that do. Bottom line is a need a bucket that will fit in this fairing. And yours sounds like the ticket!

Comment

Working...
                              X