OEM Muffler Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Muffler Life

Who is still running the oem mufflers on their GS ? I guess the guy who owned my 83 GS1100E before me must have laid it over or something. Mine has the black motor but chrome pipes and mufflers. This isn't the way to do it but a few years ago I filled in a couple of small rust holes with JB Weld. To this day the JB Weld is still holding although I am starting to hear a little rattling inside one of the mufflers. I would love to find an OEM black chrome set, new or used. Maybe a good set will show up on eBay. :?
    1983 GS1100E owned since 1992. SOLD! :cry:
    1990 RM250L since 1989.
    1986 XR250R since 1987. SOLD!
    1968? Suzuki B100P. SOLD!!!
    2 1992 XR100R's since 1995? for wife and daughter.(Just sold one 12/26/2016)
    1993 Z50R for other daughter but about to sell since she has out grown it. SOLD!!!
    2002 DRZ400S 12/04/10 SOLD!
    2006 DR650SE since May 2012
    2005 DL1000K5 since January 2013
    Green is just another color.

the rattle could be the heat shied/s are loose, and there is some on ebay now http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-83...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

I still got the stock chrome exhaust on my '85 GS700ES - just turned 100115 miles on the way to work this AM (at a nippy 25deg).

My head pipes are definitely showing their age on the surface, but the mufflers look great and I have had zero problems from the whole system.

Sure would like to find a set of 4 into 1's for it this coming spring, but they are awfully hard to find anymore.

Comment

Mine are 24 years old with 41K. The pipes don't look like much but the mufflers look OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
          I still got the stock chrome exhaust on my '85 GS700ES - just turned 100115 miles on the way to work this AM (at a nippy 25deg).

My head pipes are definitely showing their age on the surface, but the mufflers look great and I have had zero problems from the whole system.

Sure would like to find a set of 4 into 1's for it this coming spring, but they are awfully hard to find anymore.
          I believe you can use pipes off the oil cooled GSXR's on your gen of 700. PM Billy Ricks and ask him, he has a Yosh GSXR 4-1 on his 750 (83, I think it is) and it fits very well. There are still lots of option for the GSXR's around, so if this works, you will have no problem finding a system.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
            I believe you can use pipes off the oil cooled GSXR's on your gen of 700. PM Billy Ricks and ask him, he has a Yosh GSXR 4-1 on his 750 (83, I think it is) and it fits very well. There are still lots of option for the GSXR's around, so if this works, you will have no problem finding a system.

Mark
            The later w/c gsxr TI downpipes can be made to fit too, if you are willing to tweak each one outwards slightly at the head to suit the wider gs port spacing & maybe mod them around the sump area

The oil cooled gsxr pipes have the same port spacing but 750 & 1100 ones are different heights so you may catch the sump, check height before deciding which you need but i'd guess the longer 1100 ones would suit

Comment

I had pretty much figured I would have to go the GSXR (or Katana) route to find some pipes. My only problem is that I'm not equipped to do any kind of serious maching to make things fit, at least outside of making a simple mounting bracket to support the mufflers in the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
                I had pretty much figured I would have to go the GSXR (or Katana) route to find some pipes. My only problem is that I'm not equipped to do any kind of serious maching to make things fit, at least outside of making a simple mounting bracket to support the mufflers in the rear.
                PM Billy, he had a thread about his and I think it was a straight bolt on with only the mounting bracket at the back needing work. Since you can't find anything, even paying a few $$ to a shop for a bit of fab work will leave you with a decent exhaust for not too much money. The GSXR stuff is very common and cheap on fleabay.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by suegip
                  I have the original exhaust on my '82 1100GK. Still in pretty good shape. I would only replace it with another 4into2 because I like the balanced look and really don't like the naked left side look, especially with shaft drive. My bike has 40,000+ miles on it.
                  Take REAL good care of that original system, because a replacement aftermarket exhaust for the GK doesn't exist (last time I searched) and an OEM system will run you over $500 (if you can still get one)...

Comment

Still stock. When first fired up, there is a rattle in the left header pipe for a few minutes till she warms up.. My theory is that with the dual-wall construction, the inside pipe is making contact with the outside pipe.
                    Last edited by 1980GS1000E; 12-05-2007, 11:00 PM. Reason: Stupid typo
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

OK, so you have a black motor, and chrome pipes. Shouldn't you have black pipes with the black motor? If so, then I would guess that you have replacement pipes on the bke. I still have one original pipe on my bike, and one junk yard replacement.

Comment

After looking at many 83 models like mine on this site and eBay and asking a dealer, yes I should have the black chrome exhaust. I figure the guy before me must have laid it down and damaged the original set since the stator cover on the right side has some abrasion marks and the handle bars were not OEM. Seems odd he went for the chrome instead of the black chrome. I think the black looks much better IMHO.
                        Last edited by BlackandBlue; 12-06-2007, 12:51 PM.
                        1983 GS1100E owned since 1992. SOLD! :cry:
                        1990 RM250L since 1989.
                        1986 XR250R since 1987. SOLD!
                        1968? Suzuki B100P. SOLD!!!
                        2 1992 XR100R's since 1995? for wife and daughter.(Just sold one 12/26/2016)
                        1993 Z50R for other daughter but about to sell since she has out grown it. SOLD!!!
                        2002 DRZ400S 12/04/10 SOLD!
                        2006 DR650SE since May 2012
                        2005 DL1000K5 since January 2013
                        Green is just another color.

Comment

Black is just impossible to find, most aftermarket megaphones are chrome. That is probably why you have chrome. What you can do is track down some Jama originals and keep your headers and just replace the megaphones.
                          but they will be chrome.

Comment

Working...
                          X