What makes gauges interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes gauges interchangeable?

What, other than styling, makes one set of gauges interchangeable with another set off of another year, model, etc?

If the odometer and tach are the same, meaning mechanical versus electrical, shouldn't everything match up? I realize that if you have one set with oil temp and another without, obviously the connections won't match, but other than that?

To my knowledge all the GS guages use the same size speedo and tach cables ( not all are same length obviously) The only thing i would see is the spacing for the bracket..whether the holes will line up with the holes on your neck...

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
      What, other than styling, makes one set of gauges interchangeable with another set off of another year, model, etc?

If the odometer and tach are the same, meaning mechanical versus electrical, shouldn't everything match up? I realize that if you have one set with oil temp and another without, obviously the connections won't match, but other than that?
      I'm about to tackle this very question tonight. The '78 guages I'm replacing with '79's do not have gear indicator lights. (not a problem)
      They also have left and right turn signal indicators. The 78 only has a single light. (I may have to do a little rewiring there)
      I know the speedo, and tach ratio's, as well as the mounting boss's are the same on all models so that won't be an issue. I'll let you know how it works out.

Comment

Thanks!

Look forward to it.

Comment

Working...
        X