exhaust stud missing. bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust stud missing. bad?

i noticed one of the exhaust studs is missing on my headers? easy to replace? would this cause any problems?

The exhaust pipe where the stud is missing may leak as it may not be fully seating into the engine block.

Easy to replace, just get a new bolt, and use anti-sieze, but....check the previous bolt isn't broken off in the engine block, a common problem.

Comment

time to get out the snap-on reversable drill bits

Comment

Uh-Oh. I guess I was real lucky on mine. I thought sure they would be seized.

Comment

Careful trying to back out a bit with one of those hardened removal tools. They can shatter, and then you're screwed.

I know because I have a chunk of one firmly wedged into a broken stud on my #2 cylinder. I did it at the beginning of the season. Do you know what I was thinking right before I broke it? I was thinking "I should probably stop before this breaks in there".

Oh well. I bolted on that pipe with one bolt, and it has worked fine. I was telling a buddy who also has a 750 about it, and he said he thought I would probably be okay. The next time I saw him he told me he was checking out his manifolds after our conversation and noticed that he had a broken stud. He had no idea when it had happened, but he bets that he has ridden at least one season that way.

You could potentially run into a problem with an exhaust leak, but I doubt it would be too severe.

This is all assuming that you can't get the bolt out. There are a couple options to try, which you should be able to find by doing a quick search.

Comment

Crap, I just re-read your first post, and noticed that you said it was missing, and not broken. I guess I was just wrapped up in my own story telling.

Just go to your local autoparts store and buy a new stud. They should have metric ones for under $2 a piece. I replaced most of mine.

Comment

OOps I assumed that since he was getting the drill bits out that he found it was broken. Maybe I jumped the gun.

Comment

If it ain't broke. Fix it :-D
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Mine has bolts not studs....

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Mine originally had bolts (which is what is sheared off on mine), but I replaced them with studs. I personally like the studs because it is easier to line things up.

Comment

Working...
                    X