GSXR transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR transplant

I have acquired a 92 GSXR 750 engine and plan on swapping it into my 86 GS550 ES (GSX550 katana) :twisted: :twisted:. anybody done this before? I would welcome any comments. I still need some parts yet so..... I have measured and it seems it will fit.

I'm assuming it is an Oil cooled 750 sounds like an excellent swap, But you are going to have to do some fabrication for motor mounts and exhaust. Some one may have a better idea as to what has to be done

Comment

yeah it is a SACS(oil air cooled engine) I am no stranger to fabrication. I am equipped with oxy, acetalene and a mig welder so steel mods are no prob. I have the Yosh exhaust from the Gixxer with a race can so I can modify that to fit. I will be fitting different foot controls or making my own to make room for it. I also have a rear suspension from a 91 Gixxer to go on. I just need to figure out the best way to calculate the position of the linkage and upper shock mounts.

Comment

The Gixxer motor probably isn't much bigger than your old 550 unit. The alternator sits behind the cylinders so the left side of the motor is narrower and the ignition on the right side is more compact. The only problem might be the heighth of the Gixxer motor. You can always slant it forward a bit for more clearance.

Comment

Working...
        X