helmut sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

helmut sizes

I'm interested in purchasing a NOLAN helmut but am not sure on sizing.
    The circumference of my head ( around my forehead ) is 24 inches. Which size will fit me best? Thanks for any input.

patrick

Originally posted by wan3417 View Post
    I'm interested in purchasing a NOLAN helmut but am not sure on sizing.
    The circumference of my head ( around my forehead ) is 24 inches. Which size will fit me best? Thanks for any input.

patrick
    Just a guess Patrick, based on a comparitive measurement - Try an XXL
    I bought a new one this past summer and tried a couple of sizes - The XL fit me good and by your measurement I'm 22.5" around the noggin.
    Really, it'd be best if you could try 'em on - I know I could at the dealership where I bought mine.

Comment

Have you actually tried on a Nolan helmet? Nolans are designed to fit heads that are decidedly oval, along with Shoei and Arai. If your head is more rounded, another brand might fit better. My first helmet was a Bell open-face. I got it because of Bell's reputation as one of the best. I soon realized that it was only touching my head at the forehead and the back, not on the sides, so I found a helmet that fit my oval head better. MUCH more comfortable to wear for hours at a time because the weight was evenly-distributed around the head, not just on two points. I don't remember what brand that one was, but have since used Shoei and my current HJC full-face.

Yes, features are nice, but fit is more important. If you ever have to use the helmet, it's better to have the force distributed as evenly as possible. I don't think the Nolan has any particular features that are not found in any other brand, so shop around.

Oh, and as a matter of courtesy, if you go to a bike shop to try on helmets, buy your helmet there. The dealer did not set himself up to be a test-fitting station so you could spend your money somewhere else. Yeah, you can save some money by mail-order, but be sure to include shipping in your comparison. In a few years, when you get your next helmet, you already know what fits, so go ahead and get that one through the mail.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve has summed it up very nicely. As he mentions, fit is the most important factor and the only place you can try them on is the local retailer.

When you try a helmet and find one you like keep it on for 15 or 20 minutes. You may feel like a goof but it will give you an idea of how it might feel after 2 or 3 hours. Surprisingly ( or maybe not) what starts out being the perfect fit starts to pinch or bind after a short while. An ill fitting helmet can cause headaches and neck and shoulder cramps if it doesn't sit right.

Another test that is critical, in my mind, is if the helmet can come off by being pulled forward or backward. The first open faced half helmet I got for the MSF course was like that for me. It seemed to fit fine but if pushed up from behind would come right off. I didn't think about this as I was buying and the sales guy never mentioned it. On the course one of the instructors saw it and demonstrated by coming up behind me and pushing forward and right off my head He was able to do the same thing with a guy's full face unit as well.

Once I got the right size and fit in a full face I've been able to buy on line but have been caught out again recently. I bought an un branded flip front helmet logoed for Corona brand beers on E-bay. It fits ok but fails the pull forward test and comes right off my head. Not safe to wear but it looks good on the shelf.

I think it is best to test fit and buy from a local retailer. For the extra few dollars you may save it is worth it to get comfort and a proper safe fit.

My 2 cents.

cheers,
        Spyug.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2007, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I bought my first few helmets from dealers for the reasons described above, but I've ordered the last several from da intarwebnet.

Check the clearance and bargain basement sections here...
          MotorcycleGear.com: Your source for the latest motorcycle gear and the hottest motorcycle closeouts!

In my case, I learned that HJC XL helmets fit my melon quite peachily and reliably, so as long as I'm dealing with a reputable business that will accept returns (like NewEnough), I can order with a high degree of confidence.

Another tidbit is that most people tend to buy a first helmet that's too big. My first helmet was an XXL, and after rattling around in it for a couple of years, I learned the value of a snug (but not pinching or binding) fit.

You may have to go to a bigger city to find a larger dealer with enough helmets.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ive been saving for a Simpson Outlaw...and then i find something for the BIKE and im not saving...lol I have a decent HJC fullface, but man those Outlaws are prolly the coolest helmet ive ever seen. Ive wanted one since i was younger, but thats a lot of dough when you can get a comparibly just as safe helmet for about half the cost.

Comment

helmut sizing

Thanks a lot guys for all the input. I'll try on the helmuts prior to buying ; as you all advised, the fit is the important factor to consider and not the looks. I don't really know if I have a melon or oval shaped noggin...

Comment

or you could have a Meloval shaped head..hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by wan3417 View Post
                  I don't really know if I have a melon or oval shaped noggin...
                  You will know soon enough. When the helmet is on your head, pull down on it by placing your hands on the top (don't use the straps). Notice whether there are just a couple of pressure points or the foam is pressing all the way around your head.

Next, check for size. A new helmet of the proper size will actually feel rather tight when you first put it on. The foam will break in a bit and you will get used to it, so it won't feel as bad in a couple of weeks. Put the helmet on and fasten the strap. Shake your head back and forth quickly, notice if the helmet stays with the head or continues on its own for a bit when you change direction. If the helmet keeps moving, it's too loose.

When you find on that passes the tests above, leave it on, walk around the store, shopping for at least 15-20 minutes. It may get a bit warm, but it won't be any worse than riding in the summer time. What this will point out is any pressure points that you were ignoring in the initial try-ons.

Once you get it paid for and out the door, guard it with your life, and it will return the favor. 8-[

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Jawohl! Mein Motorad ist wirklich cool!

I knew a guy named Helmut when I lived in Germany years ago. He was shaped like a melon.

I used a cloth tape measure to measure my head (like a tailor uses), checked on-line prices, researched for ratings on the helmets I liked, and then went to the helmet manufacturer's website to see which size matched my measurement.

I knew I was taking a risk on the shipping, because I was committed to exchanging it if it didn't fit right. Either way, with sensible research and a little luck my mail-order size L HJC full-face fit perfectly.

I read online that when you wiggle the helmet gently on your head, your skin should move with the pads - just that much gentle snugness. I think that's one of the same tests Steve mentioned. Meanwhile, as also mentioned, it's critical that you put a little effort into trying to roll the thing off your head while it's strapped on.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2007, 11:07 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Working...
                    X