Automatic cam chain tensioner check.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic cam chain tensioner check.

My factory manual shows how to do it easy enough,but it says once it has been set initially,do not touch it until the next overhaul. I have a little noise that I think may be the cam chain, though it is fairly new,(10,000 mi.) and I would like to do the simple check to see if the tensioner itself is working right. You just turn the engine counter-clockwise and turn the tensioner knob at the same time. Then you release the knob and turn engine in normal direction and watch for a smooth tensioning action at the knob. What would it hurt to do this test? Is the manual just being too cautious? Anyone done this? Thanks, KK. '79 GS1000E
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

If you do it as the manual describes you won't do any harm. If you turn the tensioner with the engine running, you will over tension the camchain drastically shortening it's life.

Comment

Thanks for reply. Anyone else have advice PLEASE. I'm really spooked about touching it. KK.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

When my tensioner went the knob would bounce back and forther. Sometimes it would get stuck with no tension and my engine would make awful sounds until I reached down to turn the tensioner back on.

With my new tensioner it is not possible to turn the tensioner forward when the engine is either off or on because it is already forward. If you are really gentle you can nudge the tensioner forward. If you think you've gone too far you can twist it backwards a tad and let it reset itself. (from my experience) If you read about how the guys adjust their manual tensioners you wouldn't have any fear in doing this.

Steve

Comment

Its totally safe to do the test as per the manual. The tensioner will reset itself when you rotate the engine forwards again.

Comment

Thanks guys!! KK.

Comment

Yep, you can check it as per the manual..nothing nasty will happen!

I have found that taking off the tensioner and greasing it evry few years makes it run better. Years ago I replaced the original with a later tensioner (82 or so). The original had pitted on the end of the shaft, and it was sticking. The camchain was not auto adjusting properly. This may have been an earlier model problem (78 GS1000).

Comment

If all else fails you can go to a manual tensioner-Lockhart makes a nice one. I had no choice-running high lift cams the stock spring loaded unit will not hold under high rpm. I adjust mine (tighten it) at valve lash intervals-app. 2000 miles for me. Very easy to use and fail safe- I have seen stock units fail under high race loads and the resulting bent valves associated with that. Probably overkill for a stock bike but a must for aftermarket cams. Just food for thought, Ed.

Comment

Working...
                X