Gauge Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge Restoration

I'd like to get the gauge faces restored on my '79 GS1000S (5 guage cluster) and convert the clock to a quartz movement. Any suggestions on shops that can do this work? I found one guy in New Zealand who says he can make the silk screens for the faces and paint them for about $400 U.S. Is that reasonable? Are there other options in the U.S.?

Thanks folks.

This guy might be able to do it.
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Thanks for the lead. I already talked to him. He only does Kaw's.

Comment

RP,
        Since that gauge panel is virtually un-replacable, I'd say it's just a question of how badly do you want the gauges to look "new" vs. cost. I've got an S as well, and I'm getting towards that stage of my project...clock bounces wildly, oil temp function is erratic, and gauge needles & faces are somewhat faded faded. $400.00 is alot, but if it's the only thing binging-down the looks of your ride, I'd probably do it...you have to stare at then whenever you are riding. When I was a kid, no matter how crappy my car was, the front hood was always buffed, waxed and shiny! LOL

Comment

Thanks. That is kind of where I'm at too. It looks like options are going to be limited.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers.

Comment

I've just had my instruments given the once over by Lionel Otto Instruments in Queensland Australia. They rebuilt the speedo, tacho, clock and oil temp gauge - none of which were working. The faces look much better than before but are not brand new.

All up it cost me about $500 Australian - about $400 USD at the current exchange rate.

Welcome to Otto Instruments. We are the home of Brisbane’s longest running small instrument repair shops. We repair vintage car instruments, vintage bike instruments, historical car instruments, historical motorbike instruments. Japanese Motorbikes instrument clusters, British motorbikes instrument

Ian

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Were you satisfied with the work?

Cheers!

Comment

The other very good one is Olympic Instruments in Sydney. They have been making / restoring gauges etc for more than 50 years.

They don't advertise that they restore vehicle instruments any more because they are so popular amongst the bike and car clubs that they can't keep up with the demand. The website pretty much just lists the new stuff that they sell. If you shoot them an email though they will be able to advise you on what's best. I can personally say that I have seen their work and it is 'top shelf'.

Comment

Palo Alto speedometer is the one all the BMW guys use. They do good work and they are highly regarded among the BMW people. I'm not sure if they do Suzuki. You could chek them out though. I'm sure if they can't help you they can recommend someone who can.

Palo Alto Speedometer specializes in the complete repair, restoration, and sales of automobile gauges.

Comment

Anyone contact these guys yet? Finally got a speedo/tach set that are the correct ones for my 81 1000G. Speedo is VERY faded. Probably spent the last 20 years sitting out in the Las Vegas sun.

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                    Palo Alto speedometer is the one all the BMW guys use. They do good work and they are highly regarded among the BMW people. I'm not sure if they do Suzuki. You could chek them out though. I'm sure if they can't help you they can recommend someone who can.

http://www.paspeedo.com/

Comment

Gauge reconditioning

I put mine on the back burner, possibly for this winter. I haven't contacted them. Sorry, no help.

Comment

Working...
                      X