New to GS thing need smarts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to GS thing need smarts

Can somebody lend a hand..I just got a GS from a friend. Now the bike is well in bad shape (been neglected and left outside for quite some time) But I figured for free I cant beat it. Well I am in the early stages of restoring this ride and am trying to track down general info so I can go parts hunting. OK when I picked it up the guy said he ran the numbers and found it was a 1981 gs1100E.. There is no title so I had no way of truly confirming...Well I got home and check the frame stamping and coldnt make head nor tails of it.. then upon removing the seat I found an emissions plate...I found the following numbers engine displacement 1074cc engine family CSK107444G7 chassis family GS110g and the emissions regulations are for the 1982 model year....
    So this tells me a few things anyway , the bike is an 82 engine is 1100. but as for the rest im not entirely sure. I do how ever know G-code means shaft drive which this is,, Ok now what I am hoping for is where would I find the complete vin, where might i be able to get parts? Anything anyone could tell me about this machine... I have big ideas and hopes for it and am wondering if it is worth it . thank you very much and Happy riding :P

The vin is stamped on the steering head tube.
    Check the lower left front of the cylinder block for the engine size.
    If it's an 1100cc shaft drive it's either 82 or 83, I don't think they made it in 84.
    If the fenders are chrome, a 16" rear tire, and there's a leading axle fork you have a GS1100GL.
    Painted fenders, a 17" rear tire and plastic tail section gives you a GS1100G.
    Parts are available at any suzuki shop, if none are nearby try www.ronayers.com, he has the best prices.

bill

Comment

You might also want to try e-bay for parts. Especially if your on a budget.

Comment

gs

ok reat thanks for all the great help.. From the info you have given it turns out that I do have an 82 1100 GL.. Now I can get going on restoration... Thank you very much

Comment

ok now im a little confused stated earlier it should have 16s on it but there are 17s on it.. it has the chrome fenders .. Any other help out there or other info????? Thanks for those who have offered :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
          X