dual filament turn signal blub to single

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual filament turn signal blub to single

I have a headlight and turn signals from a model year with dual filament bulbs for running lights. my 1980 GS 1000G did not have dual filament bulbs. Problem is that the turn signal wiring will not flash the dual type bulbs. What is the easiest fix to make the signals work?

I think the single filament bulbs are 25W and the dual is 8/27W, FYI if i run wires to only the high W filament half of the bulbs the signals flash. Also if i wire up the single filament bulb to the front it flashes. In the end, however the signals stalks have the dual socket and only 2 wires (ground and 12V, but no running light or flash since the bike is not equipped)

please help.

Are there dual bulbs with 25/25W?

The 2 wires coming out of the signal stem should be 12v for running light & 12v for turn signal, ground should be thru the stalk mounting point. If I remember right there should be a black wire with an eye on one end, to go under the nut that mounts the turn signal to the bracket, and a bullet connector to plug into the black wire on the harness. Make a temp ground, with alligator clips. Connect one end to threads on turn signal stem, and other end to a good ground on bike. Plug the hot turn signal lead from the harness, to either of the 2 wires coming out of the stem, the wire that makes the light the brightest should be the turn signal lead, the other will be insulated, not used. If this all works, find or make a permanent ground.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Re:

Thats what i would have thought too, but i couldn't get it to flash with a temp ground like you described. Can anyone verify that this is how the signal stalks are designed to work?

or does the one hot wire carry the running light current and also the flashing current?

Comment

Originally posted by j_fitz7 View Post
        Thats what i would have thought too, but i couldn't get it to flash with a temp ground like you described. Can anyone verify that this is how the signal stalks are designed to work?

or does the one hot wire carry the running light current and also the flashing current?
        It should be like Rphilips said: ground is the mounting bracket, one wire goes to hot for the flasher, the other goes to hot for the running lights.

If you connect one wire to ground, and the other to the flasher positive, you are trying to run the two elements in series. That would effectively give you about a 6 watt light

The temp ground is probably not making a good contact, wiggle the alligator clip while trying the turn signal

also, if you connect the other wire (the not so bright one) to the taillight wire, you will have running lights.

you will not find 25/25 watt lights, there is not enough difference between running and flash. (there's a legal requirement that says what the difference has to be)

Comment

Just wondering if you got your signals working??? I sure hope so.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

still going to try out the ground wire, ill let you know.

Comment

the problem is the bottom of the bulbs and bulb sockets. a single element bulb has one metal contact point at it's bottom that matches the single contact in the bulb socket. the dual element bulbs have two contacts and so do their sockets. also the pins on the dual element bulb are indexed so they only fit in the sockets one way. you can still use the dual element turn signal style just by not using one of the power wires. determine the ground wire and the wire that sends power to the brightest element. then only hook those two to your wiring.

Comment

Working...
              X