No announcement yet.

Pump-action front brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is obvious then that the master cylinder is at fault. And yes, I used the short banjo bolts that used to sit on the anti-dives instead of the double-length bolt. I put the double-length bolts on the antidives, just so I wouldn't lose them (and also try to stop the anti-dives from being clogged with dirt).

motorcyclemodeller : is there a specific year you recommend, or rather a choice of good years ? And as for GSXR600/750/1100 - is it the same pump ?

Comment

If you have access to a parts house that can order K&L stuff - you can re-build your original for about $25 US (not sure what the conversion works out to) ... Or you can order original Suzuki, although they are quite pricey!! 8)

Comment

I decided to reconnect the anti-dive today, so that I might be able to ride a little even with the scratch on the fork leg. Since I was gonna lose most of the brake fluid anyway I decided to undo all the banjo bolts and re-tighten them.

Got a friend of mine to work the brake lever while I aired out the brake calipers and anti-dive units. My friend pumped like crazy, building up extreme pressure before I opened the airscrews. When we were done the brake lever felt like it could stop a blackbird (and I mean the spy-plane, not the bike!) 8O

Being mighty proud of myself (and my good friend) since the front brake was now FINALLY working without pumping we both set out to take it for a test ride. About a mile from home the bike started to slow down drastically, felt like the engine had died. I was thinking WTH before I came to a halt at the side of the road. The front brakes had just locked up :? If someone could explain this to me I would be grateful.

Anyway, I opened up each of the four air screws one by one to let off some pressure - and voila - back on the road with a working front brake. Just using the index finger on the lever is enough to stop the bike when making any kind of stop except emergency braking.

The anti-dives don't work though. Strange. When I got the bike the anti-dives seemed to work just like they should, I was unable to push the front down when I applied pressure to the front brake lever. Now it's like the anti-dive isn't even connected.

Oh well - guess I'll just invest in some better (stiffer) springs and go up on the weight of the fork oil. I'm just happy I can finally stop the bike properly whenever I want

Comment

Working...
        X