84 GS1100GK oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 GS1100GK oil leak

Just bought it 100.000 KM's, hasn't run much in last 2 years, previous owner has Harley. Finally got it running Okay but oil fumes are pouring out up through fairing,appears to be wet oil at top of motor, head gasket? How difficult to fix? I am mechanically inclined but don,t know much about the GS.

vron

check and make sure that the leak is not at the front center of the cam cover. (also called the valve cover) this is a common place for leaks to develop and is probably where your leak is at, if it is from the head or base gasket, first check to see if the head studs are torqued to spec., they need to be re-torqued on a semi regular basis, and are often overlooked.

Comment

Agreed, Leon. good points.

Please note, you will have to remove the fairing to do this properly, but it is the most likely problem area.....nice part is that it's also the easiest to fix.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Check the breather hose. I had the same problem when I first bought my 82 1100gl. I feared the worst. This forum saved me and told me the breather hose may be worn. Well, when I looked it was totally disconnected. It's located under the gas tank but you can see it and connect it without removing the tank. Hope it helps.
        Eddie V

Comment

Working...
        X