No announcement yet.

idling on choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am numbering the cylinders right and i dont think the petcock is leaking because i got it new in october. the number 2 header gets hot after the bike runs for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
      i am numbering the cylinders right and i dont think the petcock is leaking because i got it new in october. the number 2 header gets hot after the bike runs for a bit.
      Great to hear it's running better. I still think that your #2 pilot circuit needs further investigation!!
      Have a Happy New Year.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

i cleaned the pilot circuit again but it still doesnt fire right away. after it warms up for a bit, if i adjust the mixture screw for number 2 the idle speed moves with the screw. i cant find my compression checker right now, but once i get it registered, ill ride it to a mechanic and see if he can tune the mixture and check the compression. its been ridden for 8k miles so could the valves have worn that much?

Comment

its been ridden for 8k miles so could the valves have worn that much?
          i doubt the the valves would go off after that milage to cause a major problem provided they had been correctly adjusted (so, yes, you do need to check them)
          check the compression and if nr 2 is a lot lower then the other cylinders that'd be a good indication of where your problem is
          GS850GT

Comment

actually, just remembred, i had the exact same problem with one of my bikes, where one cylinder would fire properly only with the engine warmed - it turned out to be a burnt valve
            GS850GT

Comment

just got a new compression checker and all of the cylinders are at about 145 psi. well except number 3 which doesnt have any. i was greeted by knocking when i tried to start and ticking when idling. its a stuck valve. now i have a better excuse to do a valve check.

would a burnt valve have compression?
              Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM.

Comment

would a burnt valve have compression?
                nope
                i'm afraid it sound like it's time to take the head off
                GS850GT

Comment

i was talking about the #2 cylinder, so it doesnt have a burnt valve. the number 3 cylinder im 99 percent sure it has a stuck valve. im goin to take the valve cover off and check the clearances.

Comment

Working...
                  X