frame up restoration of a 85 gs550es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frame up restoration of a 85 gs550es

I thought it would be interesting and maybe helpful to me and a ot of other people to track a frame swap that I am forced to do. I bought a beutiful 86 gs550es and to make a very long story short I cant obtain a title. I bought a titled frame and wanted to restore the untitled bike to begin with so this just forces my hand. I will appreciate any input I can get because I am somewhat mech inclined but not much with motorcycles. I will be posting pics along the way I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I hope I do.

The other frame

Here is the frame that has a title.

Comment

I dunno--frame swap is a big job. You'll probably have your hands full just getting what you have in good running order. Have you really pursued every possibility of titling what you've got?

Comment

Tried

I have tried and the bike I bought from a guy from another state, who bought it from the original owner which never had the bike registered in the state when the original owner moved. The bike has not been registered in but the state in which it was bough new in. The original owner wouldn,t go through the trouble to get the guy I bought it from a title. So he sold it to me as parts. I have no prior registration or title of any sorts. Im from Alabama. the guy I bought it from is from Georgia, The original owner is from penn, but now lives in virginia from what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarbj View Post
          I have tried and the bike I bought from a guy from another state, who bought it from the original owner which never had the bike registered in the state when the original owner moved. The bike has not been registered in but the state in which it was bough new in. The original owner wouldn,t go through the trouble to get the guy I bought it from a title. So he sold it to me as parts. I have no prior registration or title of any sorts. Im from Alabama. the guy I bought it from is from Georgia, The original owner is from penn, but now lives in virginia from what I know.
          TRY THIS AND YOU WILL GET ONE!!!!! International title service 1-800-543-8626. Be prepared to pay 150 bucks and you will have a title! Google there web sight and you can fill out the paperwork on-line!!!
          Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2007, 10:33 AM.

Comment

The job you are looking at is a BIG undertaking, especially for someone who's not worked on bikes before. You can do it, but Wooooo. What is the reason you can't get a title for the orig. bike. Most states will have a way to get a title, even if it is a big hassel, it should be easier than the swap.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Most states have some procedure for titling an untitled bike. Here you have to get a bond on the bike for 1.5x its worth as appraised from a licensed dealer. Then you legally have title to the bike but if someone shows up with the title within 3 years they get the money, otherwise you get it back. Or $150 to ITS.

Wait, you're in Alabama--that's where Broadway Title is, and these place always set up in a state where it's easy to get a new title. Definitely look into the procedure for lost titles.

Comment

Sorry i dont know much about the title problems you face as i'm from the UK
                I do know a bit about full rebuilds though so heres some tips for if it gets that far :-D

First i'd check the bike out as it is without worrying about cosmetics, a carb strip & setup, checking it charges etc only costs time

Look at what it needs to be roadworthy & the costs as fully as possible, tyres chain sprockets etc & dont think i'll pick that up for $10 look at the worst it could be

If it then looks like a viable project sort the bits out fork seals, carbs etc etc BEFORE completely stripping the bike then you know the parts going on the new frame are good & you wont be falling over bits every time you come to work on it :-D

Most of all dont be put off, swapping good parts from one bike to another frame is really simple as once they are off you will know how they fit, lastly dont be afraid to ask questions, theres a wealth of knowlage from what ive seen so far its all freely given so you will never be stuck for long :-D:-D

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                  I dunno--frame swap is a big job. You'll probably have your hands full just getting what you have in good running order. Have you really pursued every possibility of titling what you've got?
                  I wouldn't say it's a big job in the sense that it's a complicated affair, he's not going to have to get into the engine or anything and it's a chance to sort bearings and bushes on the swing arm, mono shock, steering head etc. and also an opportunity give all those inaccessible parts a clean and touch up. If he can't get the documentation sorted then he shouldn't be worried too much about it, get a manual and a digital camera and he'll be Ok with the help he gets from here. If he removes all the things that will come off like carbs, body panels, chain etc. he can lay the bike on its side and unscrew the engine mounts and lift the old frame off the engine. he can then remove the swing arm and forks off the old frame (and clean up service what needs doing etc) and fit them to the new frame and then lay the new frame over the engine whilst it's on the deck. I did a similar thing myself on on eof my GS550ESs when I had my frame powder coated a couple of years ago. It didn't take that long to get it apart and back together and I'd say you could do the swap in a day if there are no problems.

Comment

In Michigan to get a lost title, you only have to stop by the Secretary of State's office and pick up a form. Take it home, fill out the bikes model, type and VIN number. Then have a Police Officer physically verify that the number that you wrote down is correct. From there you bring the form back to the Secretary of State and file for a lost title.

They will run the number to verify that it's not hot. And if all is well, you just pay the normal title transfer fee's and in a week or two your new title will come in the mail.

Comment

I just went through the same thing. I'm in Canada, did a frame swap on a Canadian GS550EF, using an American frame. The orginial frame was damaged so I bought a frame from Ohio. Took several phone calls and letters but I did get a good title, cost $55.

Took me two full days to swap the frames but worth it!

Comment

It's not hard to get a title in California either. Bill of sale is all that is required. I've done two bikes in the last year this way and had no trouble. Don't give up.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

keep em coming.

Im gonna try 1 more week and see if i cant get any info and get a title and if not I will do the frame swap. The only bad thing is I dont know the original owner and have a bill of sale from a guy who never got it registered.

Comment

Tried broadway title

They no loner handle motorcycles newer than 1975. The problem is I dont have the bill of sale from the original owner and the guy i got it from never had it registered.

Comment

Go to your DMV with the VIN and ask them what to do. Or call them. It's good knowledge to have even if you still do the frame swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X