No announcement yet.

frame up restoration of a 85 gs550es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altough it's not "kosher" you can write up a bill of sale in a fictitious name.

Comment

Bill of sale

Ive got a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from but he never had it registered. What does that help me do?

Comment

Originally posted by guitarbj View Post
        Ive got a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from but he never had it registered. What does that help me do?
        It can work. Or so I've heard. They might be able to tell you who the last registered owner is--someone I know found the last registered owner of a bike and drove her to a notary to sign some paperwork and gave her a $15 gift certificate for the trouble and everyone got what they wanted. If the VIN is out of their system is might be even easier.

Comment

If the bike has not been registered in a while it may have droped out of the DMV in your state. If so, they have no record and the bill of sale will work. I've done this twice now and it worked like a charm.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok

The thing appears to have last been registered to the original owner in 1996 in the state of pennsulvania. What are the steps that I need to take. Im from a small town and the county workers insist that I have this paper work. who is the person I need to talk to to get results and not screw all my cances of getting a title. The vin was ran in georgia about 2 months ago and it came back clean but georgia said they would regester it to the guy I bought it from but would not issue a title. Alabama is different. Also what is a bond title and does anyone know if alabama offers these. PS.

Thanks for all the great info Im trying everything IM hearing. We will get this thing on the road one day.

Comment

If Georgia will register the bike to your friend (the one who gave you a bill of sale) you should be okay. He is then the registered owner and you have a bill of sale from him. Go to your DMV and ask them exactly what they need . They won't steer you wrong. You may also be able to get what in some states is called a sherriff's title. Essentially, you can say that the bike has been on your property for some amount of time that the DMV specifies so you become the owner. Basically it's the eposession is 9/10's rule. Your DMV can help you with this as well. They may have information on their website. Illinois does not allow this but I know Oregon does. I think for Oregon, the time limit is ten years. As usual it's different everywhere. Check out the place in the link I'm including. You should be fine with any Bill of sale through this service. It's not really a big deal getting a title as long as the bike isn't hot. These services basically do the sherrif's title route, they title the machine in their name and sign the title over to you. Then you transfer it to your name.

Comment

It shows that you legally purchesed it.

Comment

Called dmv

I got the answer I was afraid of. They told me there was nothing I could do to legalize the bike since I had no paperwork proving I owned it. Any further suggestions. Im now preping the titled frame.

Comment

As a last resort you can find another frame with title and put the good title on your existing frame. The frame VIN decal can be removed - but don't ask me how I know!

Comment

I got the answer I was afraid of. They told me there was nothing I could do to legalize the bike since I had no paperwork proving I owned it. Any further suggestions. Im now preping the titled frame.
                      I have a hard time believing that Broadway Title set up shop in a state where it's difficult to title a bike with no title. If you can find someone local who is into old bikes or cars they might be able to tell you. The people at the DMV don't always know all the rules. You might try calling a few and see if you get the same answer. But go ahead and do the swap if you're up for it. It will be rewarding, but if you just want a bike to ride I'd still pursue titling the bike that's already built.

Comment

So, did you also call the title companies? They do this for a living and this is why they exist.

Comment

Getting a clean title.

Its a small world I have the guys info that owned the bike and he is going to work with me to get the title.

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
                            I just went through the same thing. I'm in Canada, did a frame swap on a Canadian GS550EF, using an American frame. The orginial frame was damaged so I bought a frame from Ohio. Took several phone calls and letters but I did get a good title, cost $55.

Took me two full days to swap the frames but worth it!
                            Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Comment

Working...
                            X