Fitting springs without a compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting springs without a compressor

Anyone got any tips to get the springs on my new progressives?

Tool is $35 here.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Ive seen them taken apart via a bench vise. Dunno if the opposite will work..

Comment

A strut spring compressor will work. I just took mine to the local MC parts and shop and he put them on in five minutes for a couple of bucks.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

you should be able to do it with a bench vise. be sure to slip the bump stop down the shaft a couple of inches first. i installed 105/150 springs this way and i only weigh 155lb. and am 64 yrs. old. the first hard/bottom out bump you ride over will return the stops to the top of the shaft. it's a bit of a strain but doable.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2007, 04:23 PM.

Comment

No tools required, just a 3rd hand. Set the pre load all the way down. Push down on the shock and have your pet monkey, wife/GF/BF or available kid slide in the keeper. Done.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I have two lengths of heavy angle iron that are very loosely bolted together at one end.

The bolted end goes under a bench, bumper, or some other heavy object about a foot off the ground.

Put duct tape on the edges of the angle irons so they don't scratch the springs.

Stand the shock up on one end, preferably on something that won't let the end move off to the side, and compress the spring by sticking the edges of the angle iron through two coils.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If your referring to rear springs, I use a very thin 14 mm wrench to turn the nut with. the preload need to be all the way down first. The thin wrench is actually a bicycle tool that is made by Park Tools.

I use a fair amount of bicycle tools on my GS, the headset nut lockring is tightened with a bicycle tool as well.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I've always just wound a length of strong rope around the top and bottom loops, joined the ends of the rope to make a loop of rope, inserted a bar and wound it round, a bit like winding up an elastic band powered model aircraft. Piece of cake.

Wally
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                X