No announcement yet.

Got it started. Maybe some tips to get me on my way?- 79 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug caps, huh? Suspecting some spark weakening from a breakdown of insultion?

Comment

No, resistance increases due to aging.

Earl

Originally posted by Dark Jedi
      Plug caps, huh? Suspecting some spark weakening from a breakdown of insultion?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]I've been tuning motorcycles utilizing the tach on the bike for over 30 years and I've found it to be plenty accurate.

Earl

Originally posted by Hotblack
        The tach on your bike wouldn't be accurate enough to tune by even if it worked.
        I was only half-way to AARP then

Comment

Well, let me see, you were halfway to AARP 30 years ago, so now youre WAAAY beyond AARP age. LMAO :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="terrybird"]
          Originally posted by earlfor
          I've been tuning motorcycles utilizing the tach on the bike for over 30 years and I've found it to be plenty accurate.

Earl

Originally posted by Hotblack
          The tach on your bike wouldn't be accurate enough to tune by even if it worked.
          I was only half-way to AARP then

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I wasn't thinking about this until I went to look at it. I just replaced the coils, and the wires and caps are part of the coil itself on my bike. Not real happy with that either. That means I get to replace the coils whenever the plug wires wear out, and vice versa.

Earl

Comment

The NGK replacement spark plug caps are screw on. Even if your original plugs caps are not screw off, you can cut them off and screw on NGK replacements.

Earl

I wasn't thinking about this until I went to look at it. I just replaced the coils, and the wires and caps are part of the coil itself on my bike. Not real happy with that either. That means I get to replace the coils whenever the plug wires wear out, and vice versa.

Earl

Comment

The NGK replacement spark plug caps are screw on. Even if your original plugs caps are not screw off, you can cut them off and screw on NGK replacements.

Earl
                Ahh, coolness.

Also, I just discovered another thread for a similar problem(root problem, anyway) and he cured it with an airbox lid. My airbox has no lid, and never has while I have owned it. Never knew it was supposed to have one.

D'OH!

Comment

I discovered that my plug caps ('79) don't exactly screw on, but they are easily removable. There is a post somewhere around here explaining how someone successfully removed the wires from the coils also, should you ever need to replace the wires.

Comment

Ahhhh, use the force Luke, get a lid. :-)

Earl

My airbox has no lid, and never has while I have owned it. Never knew it was supposed to have one.

D'OH!

Comment

Ahhhh, use the force Luke, get a lid. :-)

Earl

My airbox has no lid, and never has while I have owned it. Never knew it was supposed to have one.

D'OH!
                      I may have already done so. An ex-neighbor has a mashed up GS450 of unknown year. The airbox looks real familiar to me..... he has already said I can have anything I want off it if I'll haul the carcass to the boneyard when I'm done. Gonna swipe the side covers, airbox, and chainguard. The rest is either solid rust or mashed all to hell. (He went down at speed a few years ago. He slid up a driveway in to a parking lot, the bike took the curb route....)

Comment

Dark Jedi wrote:

........He slid up a "driveway" in to a parking lot, the bike took the curb route....)
                        Hmmmmm, wonder if Scotty has any relatives up in that area? [/b]
                        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Working...
                        X