3M scotchbrite discs, anybody used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3M scotchbrite discs, anybody used?

Has anybody used these to remove gasket residue from aluminum? Iv'e got some stuborn material to get off of the top of my cylinder, but I don't want to remove any aluminum.

I used stainless steel scratch pads and Berrymans.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Has anybody used these to remove gasket residue from aluminum? Iv'e got some stuborn material to get off of the top of my cylinder, but I don't want to remove any aluminum.
      Hello BlackStar.....If it's the ROLOC (or similar) type of high speed "cookie" you're interested in, the answer is YES they'll remove the material.....YES they will remove aluminum if you're not careful.....The MOST IMPORTANT thing to be aware of though, is that they shed a fine very abrasive dust which must be cleaned and/or not allowed to get into the oil of the engine (if on an assembled engine) - That dust HAS caused a lot of grief for mechanics over the years wiping out bearings etc. Just be careful....

Comment

I've used these discs in an air die grinder on my last two GS850 rebuilds with no problems.

Use only the finest available (can't remember if that's fine or extra-fine) on aluminum. Be reasonable with the pressure, keep them moving, and you'll be fine. They do a helluva lot less damage than scraping.

As noted, you have to make double certain that you wash all the abrasive residue off. It gets everywhere.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I worked at a factory that used Scotch Brite pads to polish stainless tool steel. So yeah, they'll cut aluminum up very quickly. Be very gentle and take your time in small, light passes, and you should be fine.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I use permatex gasket remover spray and then a razor/scraper, stuff works great. I only use the roloc pads on steal/iron, it cuts into the aluminum too fast for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              I wouldn't be or remove old gaskets without them. Light pressure and never stop moving it. You'll se it start to shine when you get thru the gasket.

Comment

Working...
              X