timing problems with 83 gs 550 e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing problems with 83 gs 550 e

i hope someone can help me i went threw and set the timeing up just like it said in the manual and when i got it all back together i went to start it and it just poped and flamed up threw the carbs

Sounds like the timing is set 360 degrees out of phase. :shock:

Yes, the timing was probably set with piston at Top Dead Center (TDC), but was it the right piston? There are two sets of ignition triggers on your bike, one would be labeled 1-4, the other 2-3. Make sure they are lined up correctly.

Another possibility would require removal of the valve cover to verify proper valve timing. This should only be affected if the cams have been removed, but you likely don't know the entire history of the bike anyway, so it's worth a shot. While you are in there, go ahead and check the valve clearance. If the valves are too tight, the bike will be hard to start and will tend to backfire because the intake valve is either closing late, or not at all.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ty

thank you for the reply yea it was out of time i ended up setting it tdc while the motor was still on the frame and went threw and check everything i had it on exhuast tdc the frst time. but now i have deveploped a new problem of when it is running i hit the trottle it acts like it is either flooding or starving. it basicaly falls flat on it face when i hit the trottle and it was not doing that before i ended up having to take the motor out so i have been trying to adjust the carbs now cause i think the carbs was ajusted for when it was out of time by someone periouvs. it does start up and idles great but give it gas to power it up and it falls flat on its face. i am to the point of giving up on it lmao

Comment

I'd check the carb air screw settings, how many turns out? Check for vacum leaks.

Comment

mine also falls flat on its face. i think mine has an intake boot leak so i got new o-rings from robertbarr. i hope they'll be here tomorrow. ill tell you if it works.

Comment

Working...
          X