Mystery vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery vent

Just a quick question for the experts. I'm working on putting back together a 1980 GS850L. On the bottom of the airbox (right side as your sitting on it i think) is a vent with a hard plastic hose coming out. It looks like it routes up behind the box and mine is broken. I don't see any where this thing could connect to. Does any one have a suggestion? Thanks in advance

-Jeff

A drain line.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A drain line.
      Yep, I'll concur with that. But the thing I've always wondered, is that this drain hose might be good for draining whatever ends up in the airbox (petrol from overflowing carbs, or oil from engine blow-by)... but isn't it also a good route for unfiltered air to be sucked into the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
        Yep, I'll concur with that. But the thing I've always wondered, is that this drain hose might be good for draining whatever ends up in the airbox (petrol from overflowing carbs, or oil from engine blow-by)... but isn't it also a good route for unfiltered air to be sucked into the engine?
        Isn't the end of the tube blanked off with a slit in it so it has to be pinched to drain fluid out but doesn't allow air in that way?

Comment

Well that would definitely make *lots* of sense if there is a slit that needs to be pinched to drain the fluid out.

And if that's the OE setup, then the previous owners of my machines have been up to wrong-headed mischief (an all-too-common thing )

Cheers,
          Mike.

Comment

Working...
          X