Won't go past 85

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't go past 85

Hey on my 81 GS1000G I was driving it and the damn thing would not go past 85 MPH. I know the bike is supposed to go well past this mark. The carbs have been cleaned extensively. I also checked the compression, it has 150+ on all the cylinders, I replaced the O-rings behind the rubber intakes on the head. The plugs are burning well (not too sooty, not too white). Anyone got an idea why it is not going?

Maybe you need a different speedometer

Comment

My guess would be your main jet being off. Try running your bike to 85, then pull the clutch and hit the kill switch. Pull off to the side of the road and check your plugs. Have you changed your exhaust, intake, or something else?

Comment

That would exceed the posted speed limits and that would be wrong .

Is there a certain RPM you can't exceed regardless of your speed? If so, might check that your throttle cable/control isn't binding up and not allowing it to open up fully.

Comment

Originally posted by pjackson
          That would exceed the posted speed limits and that would be wrong .
          You mean you're not testing on a closed track? 8O :roll:

Comment

Have you checked your air filter element?

If any portion of the air intake system is dirty or plugged you could conceivably end up with enough restriction to possibly cause this low top speed.

Another item to check is the throttle cable, has it stretched, is it binding or not adjusted properly. Pull the airbox and make sure the slides are opening fully, as well as the CV valves.

Make sure your brake calipers are not seized as well, brake friction can really slow things down.

Good luck and once you get it going properly try not to exceed 85 mph unless you have a helicopter looking out for you. Road rash hurts and tickets, as well as insurance are expensive.

Comment

reason for going over 85 MPH

Well of course I was on a closed track (it was closed to horse and buggys) It is also called I-59, And you have to go and see what a bike will do every now and then. Its like my Dad would say when we used to take his 66 GTO (389CI, tri-power, 4 speed) out, he would push the pedal to the floor, the car would scream! and he would say "son you have to do this every now and then, it cleans the carbon out"

I think that is a good reason and I see no flaw in his logic, plus it was cool!

Comment

Are you sure all 4 cylinder were firing? I know you said plugs looked good, but if a cylinder isn't getting fuel, plug will still look good. I had same problem a few weeks ago.......fuel starvation. Felt like cylinder was fouled.....only ran on 3 cylinders......then 2. I pulled plugs, looked good. On 3 cylinders, 75-80 mph was all I could go.
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Philly_Chris
                  Maybe you need a different speedometer
                  There may be more truth than you can imagine to this....

I rode my new 82 GS1100e from San Diego to Yuma at a steady 85MPH, and manages it in about an hour and a half... 8O

That's when I learned there is a peg on the speedo at the 85 mark.. I wondered why everyone was going so damn slow.

Comment

Working...
                  X