Valve Shim Job; Carb Balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Shim Job; Carb Balancing

I finally got the clearances set my first time. Thanks for the helpful info. shared here by many.

Only three of them were within spec. to start with, and the rest were too tight. I ended up with a .06, five .08s, and two .09mms after changing shims. I took a short 34-degree ride in light drizzle with a rigged up gas supply, and it seemed encouragingly smooth.

I hope to check the carb balance tomorrow, which will be my first time at that too. The POR-15 treatment I need will just have to wait until I'm done with school.

It's nice to have a ready source of info. here for getting such things done.

Mr. JMHJ,

Thanks for the encouraging report. I also had one or two of my exhaust valves set at .09mm. Shouldn't hurt anything. I'll be checking my valve clearances again within the next couple of oil changes. I changed out 5 shims the last time. I bought my bike with 13,800 miles on it. I don't know if the valves had ever been checked before. I have yet to delve heavily into my carbs. But I have a spare set to practice on. I wish you happy wrenching and safe riding.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks. Mine had been done at least once I think, since the hexnut I turned the motor with had a little wear on it. It might have been at the bike's 600-mile maintenance checkup. The ignition cover had no gasket on it either, which I thought there was supposed to be a thin one in there.

Comment

Mr. JMHJ,

Yes, there should be a paper gasket there. It's not critical but should be replaced when you get a chance. It will keep small contaminants and water out of your ignition. Happy wrenching!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X