I've seached Clutch Steels Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seached Clutch Steels Direction

I've made an elementary error in that I didn't write down which way the flat side faced on the stock steels.

After pulling them out of the pack to clean, scuff, re-clean I have lost my trail of bread crums and now I can't remember if I cited flat side in or flat side out.

I certainly thought I had written it down on my spec sheet but of course I must have been dreaming.

After searching on here I found that as long as they all face the same direction it doesn't matter. That was written by GSBill, but it was only one thread that came up.

Any one know for sure if it's flat side inny or outie?

Thank you in advance.

As long as they're all facing the same way, it doesn't matter a bit. I've never bothered to try and put them back exactly how they came out, and never had a problem.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You da man Bwringer... I shall commence reinstallation.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
        You da man Bwringer... I shall commence reinstallation.
        As mentioned above it doesn't matter. I re-fitted mine with the rounded edge facing out (pressure disc side) as I figured that they would slide freer in the splines on the cluth hub when the clutch was being disengaged (less likely to cause cluth drag and notchy gear shifts)! That was my thinking on it any way. I did other mods as well too to combate the drag.
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Correct way to fit them is with the rounded edge facing out :-D

fitting them the other way or even worse mixing them will make the fibre plates wear more quickly before anyone asks ... no i dont know why but it does :-D

Comment

Well, I have the case off for polishing and I need to order the washers for the new oem bolts I bought for the new oem clutch springs so thankfully I can still change the arrangement around.

The funny part is that I figured I didn't need washers but, it appears that the old washers don't want to come off of the old screws.

I thought about tearing into my dad's bike to see which way his steels face. I know for a fact that his clutch has never been disturbed from the factory with only 10G miles on the bike and besides,he needs to polish up his clutch cover. I am in no hurry to get my bike back together with snow falling outside. I've got a few months before riding weather returns.

Thanks for the response!
            Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2007, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
              Well, I have the case off for polishing and I need to order the washers for the new oem bolts I bought for the new oem clutch springs so thankfully I can still change the arrangement around.

The funny part is that I figured I didn't need washers but, it appears that the old washers don't want to come off of the old screws.

I thought about tearing into my dad's bike to see which way his steels face. I know for a fact that his clutch has never been disturbed from the factory with only 10G miles on the bike and besides,he needs to polish up his clutch cover. I am in no hurry to get my bike back together with snow falling outside. I've got a few months before riding weather returns.

Thanks for the response!
              The plates in my 850 had the flat sides facing the pressure disc. I was given two clutch hubs off GS 1000's (I think, because they are bigger than the 850's). Both have the first steel disc installed behind the piano wire spring with the flat side facing the pressure disc. They look like they haven't been disturbed from the factory!
              :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

What Tone said. Granted they should work well as long as they are all facing the same direction. But the correct and best install is w/the flats in/rounded edges out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jd Powell View Post
                  What Tone said. Granted they should work well as long as they are all facing the same direction. But the correct and best install is w/the flats in/rounded edges out.
                  I beg to differ JD as I am an ex-Suzuki dealer mechanic from 1980 to 1990. EVERY clutch I have removed from an UNOPENED GS 700, 750, 1100 or 1150 has had the steels rounded edge in. I have ALWAYS set them up that way & have NEVER had clutch issues. I run all my dragbikes that way & set up all my customers engines that way also. Again, no issues ever with any of them. As long as ALL the steels face the SAME way there should be no problems. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    I beg to differ JD as I am an ex-Suzuki dealer mechanic from 1980 to 1990. EVERY clutch I have removed from an UNOPENED GS 700, 750, 1100 or 1150 has had the steels rounded edge in. I have ALWAYS set them up that way & have NEVER had clutch issues. I run all my dragbikes that way & set up all my customers engines that way also. Again, no issues ever with any of them. As long as ALL the steels face the SAME way there should be no problems. Ray.
                    RapidRay, I concide that your experence in this field vastly outweighs my own. I have always been told that the most critical thing is that they all face the same direction. But both my GS's are set-up as I mentioned in my last post. (though I cannot say for sure they hadn't been opened before I got to em) Is there any partcular reason you prefer to put the rounded edges in?

Comment

I have the flat side facing away from the engine.

I would go with what came from the factory and I also used the last steel under the paino wire as my direction guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Jd Powell View Post
                        RapidRay, I concide that your experence in this field vastly outweighs my own. I have always been told that the most critical thing is that they all face the same direction. But both my GS's are set-up as I mentioned in my last post. (though I cannot say for sure they hadn't been opened before I got to em) Is there any partcular reason you prefer to put the rounded edges in?
                        Because there is NO hang up when you let the lever go. The rounded edge lets all the plates go to the back without anything getting caught on any ridges or gouges in the hub. Why Suzuki puts them in that way I'm not sure bit in a drag application they work perfectly that way. Ray.

Comment

Thank for the clarification. That does make sense especially in a dragbike application. I only ride street (due mostly to time and money constraints I would love to get into drag racing someday) consequently my thinking is exactly the opposite in that I don't want any hanging up with the clutch in. For the type of riding I do the springs do a good enough job bangin the plates back together when its time to go. At any rate I learned something new today and thank you for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X