Sprocket change info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprocket change info

If I wanted to drop the rpms in 5th gear @ 75mph, I know I could do it with a sprocket change. The only problem I have is which way? I know it will slow acceleration a little, but with the engine mods I've made should not be a problem. At 75 mph in 5th ( average highway speed in NJ), I'm running 3800rpm. Is this normal or can it be lowered?

You could change your front sprocket up one tooth. I did just the opposite and dropped one tooth on the front sprocket of the 750 for a little peppier ride around town, now I kind of regret it. Too many rpm at highway speeds, going to change it back to stock.
    After my little experiment, I think stock is the best way to go with gearing.

Comment

Yeah, go up one tooth on the front sprocket - it's gonna be just what you want. I'm willing to bet my nose hair.

I remember doing this on my moped quite a few years ago, upping the front sprocket from 10 or 11 to 15 - now that was noticeable! Acceleration didn't really suffer as it was geared stupidly low to begin with.

Comment

My nose hair is on the one extra tooth up front. My 1100e runs great with it. It is now fun to tour with and with the mild mods it reall screams when i twist the throttle any way. It has made launching a bit easier too. Naturally it lost a tiny bit of the zip in first but that was apain any way. too much tire slippage. I picked up a couple of MPG also.

Comment

Hmm..rode the bike to work for the first time today, don't think it would hurt to go up a notch on the front sprocket. Either that or add a sixth gear.

Whichever is easier.

Comment

What??

75 MPH at 3800RPM I've never heard of such a thing....on a Suzuki. That's sounds like my last Harley.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Try this out

John
              You might want to try a program called gearcalc. I found it at this site: http://www.IronJungle.com/ You'll need to know all the gear ratios for your bike (primary, transmission) & the circumference of your rear tire.

You might want to consider changing the rear sprocket. The RPM drop will be less drastic. You can get really crazy and change both to fine tune your cruising RPMs. I have a 40 tooth rear on one of my bikes. I like the way it feels on the gsp. I'm wary of going too low; my 2 valve 750 doesn't have the low end power of the larger or newer GS's

Terry

Comment

Gearing for cruising

I went up one tooth up front and down two teeth in the rear on my 1150 & it still turns over 3000 on the freeway!
                Rick..........

Comment

Richard,
                  Can you still roll onto the power to pass or do you have to shift? Sometimes I ride my 400 around at 9000RPM so that I have lots of zip.

Steve

Comment

Roll on POWER!

Originally posted by srivett
                    Richard,
                    Can you still roll onto the power to pass or do you have to shift? Sometimes I ride my 400 around at 9000RPM so that I have lots of zip.

Steve
                    One of the marvelous features of the amazing 1150 is the power from down low. Didn't hear my story here a while ago?...recap...I was tooling along a highway at appx. fifty MPH, (posted & 55)came upon a line of five cars....bored as I was, I looked to see if it was clear pulled out & rolled it on.....by the time I had passed the lead car I was well over a hundred.
                    Trust me the difference in power from say a 750 to mine is considerable.
                    Rick............

Comment

Did you check to see if someone has changed the sprockets, before you got the bike? 3800 rpm. @ 75 mph. seems way out of line. 4000 rpm @ 60 mph. should be about normal. It would take a drastic sprocket change to get to 3800 rpm. @ 75 mph.

Comment

3800rpm @ 75 sounds like a serious case of overdrive to me. I would not gear any taller as your bike might not pull properly in high gear. Just a note- I have two seperate complete sproket hubs for my 83 750E, one with 43 tooth rear (stock) and the other a 45 tooth rear. Gearing changes are a snap and can be done in 10 minutes. Simply remove rear wheel and swap complete sproket hub assemblies-no un-bolting required. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

On second thought - I think I'll leave my gearing as it is for now. My ES has had it's fairing removed and a round headlight mounted in its place, much better looking, but hardly aerodynamic. :?

In fifth the engine isn't exactly unrestrained around 60mph, dropping it to fourth helps a bit. But then again I guess my bike isn't made out to be a tourer It struggles a bit around 5000rpm - the real power doesn't kick in until past 7000.

Sitting straight up + no fairing + 100mph = long arms 8O

Comment

Re: Sprocket change info

Originally posted by johnny Aitch
                            If I wanted to drop the rpms in 5th gear @ 75mph, I know I could do it with a sprocket change. The only problem I have is which way? I know it will slow acceleration a little, but with the engine mods I've made should not be a problem. At 75 mph in 5th ( average highway speed in NJ), I'm running 3800rpm. Is this normal or can it be lowered?
                            no it is not normal, ether someone before you has already done some major sprocket swapping, or ether your speedometer, or your tach is not reading correctly.
                            you should see over 4000 rpm at just 60mph, my 80 1000g turns a hair under 4000 at 60 mph, a 82 1100e turns 3811rpm @ 60mph, a 78 gs750 turns 4538rpm@ 60mph.
                            even the 82 honda V-45 sabre which has a overdrive gear is turning 3858rpm@ 60 mph.
                            75mph@3800 is serious over drive!!

Comment

Working...
                            X