Running Lights Solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Lights Solutions

I have been scouring this site, ebay and google searches looking for an easy solution for running lights. I finally found something that looks to provide the "whole enchalada". The main points about this are:

Solutions are provided for both single and dual element lights.

A solution using relays is described.

A solution using diodes for brake,running and turn us provided using diodes.

Shows how to use Transparent paint to color an amber lense "RED" \\/

I'm not sure which way to go yet but I think I'll do the full function appoach and see if I can get brighter single filiment bulbs.

More later

Posplayr

Use dual filament bulb turnsignals. There should be a brown wire in your headlight bucket that is unused. This is a power wire specificly for front running lights. Also at the rear where the taillight plugs in you will find an unused wire (not sure of the color but it will have 12v available when the key is in the on position) use this wire to power the rear running lights.

Comment

I also agree with the useage of dual-filament bulbs. For my wife's 850, I located some new front signals with dual-filament sockets, so the change was very easy. As JD Powell suggested, I connected to the unused brown wire in the headlight shell.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        I have been scouring this site, ebay and google searches looking for an easy solution for running lights. I finally found something that looks to provide the "whole enchalada". The main points about this are:

Solutions are provided for both single and dual element lights.

A solution using relays is described.

A solution using diodes for brake,running and turn us provided using diodes.

Shows how to use Transparent paint to color an amber lense "RED" \\/

I'm not sure which way to go yet but I think I'll do the full function appoach and see if I can get brighter single filiment bulbs.

More later

Posplayr
        I'm assuming your trying to make the bike more visible.

Be careful if you paint lenses that it doesn't get too dark, so that the lights are less visible

The simplest way is probably to get replacement stalks from another bike that have the sockets for dual filament type 1157 running lights built in.

If you make sure you get ones with red lenses your all set.

Be aware that you only have maybe 50-80 or so continuous watts total to play with. About 4 to 6 amps (on my GS 650 at least)
        More than that and you wont charge AT ALL ever.
        On my bike even 6 amps extra was too high, it would only charge at 5000 rpm and above. I can only get about 3-4 amps extra total.

You can safely go higher with intermittent loads (like the turn signals)
        but watch out with running lights

I'm going to do front running lights, and amber side marker lights up front.

In the back, I think I want to make my tail/brake light bigger and brighter, but I don't think I'm going to do rear running lights.
        I want to have the rear turn signals remain amber.
        On one of the car forums, they occasionally have a b!tch session about the fact that the USA is one of the few places that allow red rear turn signals. They claim this causes problems where the driver behind you can't always interpret your signals as quickly.
        When you first turn your signal on, the following driver has to watch the pattern for a bit to differentiate between a turn signal, and a brake light where the other side is burnt out.
        When an amber light starts to flash, recognition of a turn signal is instant.

Now that third brake lights are common, missinterpreting is somewhat less of an issue, but apparently studies indicate that amber turn signals are still interpreted quicker.

Something I may try is to put a moderate red running light (fairly small LED) right next to the really freakin bright amber turn signal light and see how that looks/works. hopefully when the turn signal comes on, it would totally wash out the dimmer running light.

In order to get all the lights I want without sucking down more power than is available, I'm going to replace all the lights except the headlight with LEDs. All of them will be Semi-trailer Truck light assemblies that I bought on E-bay. The front and rear turn signals will be 4 inch round ones, the side markers will be 2x6 inch ovals, the brake/tail will be a group of 5 2x6 ovals, with a 6th one mounted high up on a sissy-bar as a "third brake light"

If I do rear running lights, they will be much smaller 1156/7 style LEDs mounted next to the rear turns.

Comment

When you first turn your signal on, the following driver has to watch the pattern for a bit to differentiate between a turn signal, and a brake light where the other side is burnt out.

I understand the theory, but its dumb. Why? When the red lights come on, brake OR turn...you slow down. If you're not riding someones ass, this shouldnt be a problem. If you are, learn to drive. (not speaking of YOU Bakalorz, just people in general.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post

I understand the theory, but its dumb. Why? When the red lights come on, brake OR turn...you slow down. If you're not riding someones ass, this shouldnt be a problem. If you are, learn to drive. (not speaking of YOU Bakalorz, just people in general.)
            First of all, I call bullsh!t:
            "DO THE TON!!"
            "When the red lights come on, brake OR turn...you slow down."
            Do you advocate reckless lunacy or timid grandpa driving ...
            (note for the humor impaired: that was a just kidding above)

2nd, a lot of the time the right thing is to slow regardless, but not always.

3rd, I suspect you are an attentive driver, I think I am; I suspect most motorcycle riders pay more attention to the road than "people in general".
            And the "people in general" are the problem: The ones that are trying to tune their MP3 player while they futz with the GPS and dial their cell phone. The ones that are NOT looking for motorcycles. The "Left turners" that will pull right in front of you. The ones that are NOT paying attention. The ones that will kill you because they didn't notice you or couldn't tell what you were about to do.
            THOSE are the ones I want to see me, and unambigously recognise what my signals are telling them I am about to do.

Conditions and traffic permitting I redline most shifts. My bike probably needs a tuneup to hit the ton, but I've pegged the 85mph speedo more times than I can count. I ride because its fun, and a (relatively) cheap thrill.
            But I am also VERY aware that riding has risks: Hard as it may be to do so at times, I try to keep my stupidity to small controllable doses. I wear ATGATT. I frequently practice maximum effort braking. I conciously practice countersteering. I don't fly at night when the killer bambi come out to play. I may zoom on the empty open road, but I ride conservatively in traffic where the "people in general" are cruising. And I am VERY aware of the fact that, even if I do NOTHING wrong, momentary inattention by one of the people in general can get me squished

So as part of that, I want my bike to be as noticed as possible when required: I installed a headlight modulator. I changed my horn to an airhorn. I will make my taillight, brakelights, and turn-signals bigger and brighter.

And finally the point of this whole tirade ...\\/
            I have read information that indicates amber turn signals are less ambigous to other drivers. I believe that info to be correct, and have noticed the effect myself. Since I want other drivers to be able to easily interpret my signals, I will not chose to use red turn signals.
            Some of my fellow GSR members (who seemed to be trying to increase the visibility of their bike) may not be aware of this effect, so I wanted to let them know, so they could make an informed decision.

OK, I'll stop preaching now ...

Comment

100% agree with Bakalorz in that an amber lens is instantly recognized as a turnsignal wheras a red lens is easily mistaken for a tail/brake light.

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                "DO THE TON!!"
                "When the red lights come on, brake OR turn...you slow down."
                Do you advocate reckless lunacy or timid grandpa driving ...
                (note for the humor impaired: that was a just kidding above)

2nd, a lot of the time the right thing is to slow regardless, but not always.

3rd, I suspect you are an attentive driver, I think I am; I suspect most motorcycle riders pay more attention to the road than "people in general".
                And the "people in general" are the problem: The ones that are trying to tune their MP3 player while they futz with the GPS and dial their cell phone. The ones that are NOT looking for motorcycles. The "Left turners" that will pull right in front of you. The ones that are NOT paying attention. The ones that will kill you because they didn't notice you or couldn't tell what you were about to do.
                THOSE are the ones I want to see me, and unambigously recognise what my signals are telling them I am about to do.

Conditions and traffic permitting I redline most shifts. My bike probably needs a tuneup to hit the ton, but I've pegged the 85mph speedo more times than I can count. I ride because its fun, and a (relatively) cheap thrill.
                But I am also VERY aware that riding has risks: Hard as it may be to do so at times, I try to keep my stupidity to small controllable doses. I wear ATGATT. I frequently practice maximum effort braking. I conciously practice countersteering. I don't fly at night when the killer bambi come out to play. I may zoom on the empty open road, but I ride conservatively in traffic where the "people in general" are cruising. And I am VERY aware of the fact that, even if I do NOTHING wrong, momentary inattention by one of the people in general can get me squished

So as part of that, I want my bike to be as noticed as possible when required: I installed a headlight modulator. I changed my horn to an airhorn. I will make my taillight, brakelights, and turn-signals bigger and brighter.

And finally the point of this whole tirade ...\\/
                I have read information that indicates amber turn signals are less ambigous to other drivers. I believe that info to be correct, and have noticed the effect myself. Since I want other drivers to be able to easily interpret my signals, I will not chose to use red turn signals.
                Some of my fellow GSR members (who seemed to be trying to increase the visibility of their bike) may not be aware of this effect, so I wanted to let them know, so they could make an informed decision.

OK, I'll stop preaching now ...
                Im not arguing that turn signals should or shouldnt be yellow. Obviously i would feel safer on a bike with yellow signals. The theory of " I rear ended that guy cause his turn signals were red" IS dumb. I wasnt saying what YOU were saying is dumb. Should have been more clear. Sorry. What i was saying is that I dont care what colour the lights on the vehicle in front of me are, if they are indicator lights and they come on, i slow down, back off and let him complete his action. I see to many drivers ride up on peoples asses and then near hit them because they werent paying attention to what was going on. Im not sure red or yellow lights would make a difference in that scenario.

Complete agreement here. I like blasting the open road and diving into the twisties, but i have pretty open, relatively low traffic volume country roads on which to do this. You for sure wont catch me "doing the ton" in the city, nor on the highway durring rush hour. I rather value my life, and while i like the thrill of speed and some controlled wrecklessness on some curvy country roads, I dont ride beyond my means. Some on here would call us "pusses" or whatever, and thats fine. I just dont have the money to spend on buying new bikes or fixing trashed ones every few months, or have the patience to sit thru mending a broken body part gained by a few minutes, or seconds, of thrill.

Comment

Here's another option... http://www.soundoffrec.com/products/lights.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                    And the "people in general" are the problem: The ones that are trying to tune their MP3 player while they futz with the GPS and dial their cell phone.
                    ...while driving a manual transmission.

Comment

probably the safest would be how cars do it - separate red and yellow lights for braking and turning. Although, it might look a bit goofy having so many lights mounted on the back of a bike (depending on the look you're going for). But for those with LED lights I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make a dual-color indicator. You'd need an indicator with a clear lens, and then stick a bunch of bright amber and red LEDs in the casing. I think that would look neat. But be sure to wire it so you have amber running lights since you don't have an amber reflector anymore from the lenses.

Or, somebody probably sells split indicators that take two bulbs and have red lenses on top and yellow on bottom...

Comment

Just buy the solution

BassCliff-

I am blocked from google right now at work, but if you search for "integrated LED lights" or similar, there is a manufacturer that makes a ready to install 3-wire setup with both amber and red loghts, set up to be a running light/turn signal, with multiple LED's for visibility in each color. They are round, and come in 3" and 5" sizes (from memory) and are about 35 bones a pair. When I get home, if I find it, I will post it.

afast

Comment

Originally posted by afastman View Post
                          BassCliff-

I am blocked from google right now at work, but if you search for "integrated LED lights" or similar, there is a manufacturer that makes a ready to install 3-wire setup with both amber and red loghts, set up to be a running light/turn signal, with multiple LED's for visibility in each color. They are round, and come in 3" and 5" sizes (from memory) and are about 35 bones a pair. When I get home, if I find it, I will post it.

afast
                          Cool! Thanks Mr. afastman. I'm looking around too. I didn't really want to replace the blinker stalks, but if I can find three wire units that looks close to stock, I think it will be OK. I appreciate your help.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Cliff, let's get back to the point

I have a pair of o.e.m. turn signal assemblies complete with the ground wires even, that I took off my son's GS450T when we chopped it. They're yours if you want them, even though they're about 1" smaller in diameter than the 850s. At least you could experiment with them, and not chance losing your originals if it didn't work out.

Comment

Working...
                            X