My bike wont start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike wont start!

This past weekend I bought some new plugs for my bike. Monday I changed them out, started the bike and it was running like crap. When I moved the gas tank I guess I unplugged a vaccume line that runs to the gas tank. After I figured it out I re-connected it and secured the tank.
    I then hit the starter button and nothing happened. I can't figure out what happened, got frustrated and walked away from it. As far as I could see I wasnt near any wiring harness. Can anyone lead me in the right direction so that I know what I am looking for?

Thanks,
    Dave

OK, first question: if NOTHING happened when you hit the starter button, did you have the key ON, kill switch in the RUN position, and the clutch pulled? Sorry, just had to ask. In the heat of frustration, sometime the very basic stuff is forgotten. 8-[

If the starter turned, but the engine did not start, move the petcock to the PRIME position for about half a minute, then apply full choke, NO throttle, and hit the starter again.

Last edited by Steve; 01-02-2008, 10:22 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      In the heat of frustration, sometime the very basic stuff is forgotten.
      Word ! Kill switch ? And also make sure the vac and fuel lines dont kink when you put the tank back on...
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Good point, Dave, I'll go back and edit the original reply. 8-[

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Yes the key was in the on position, all guages lit up, kill switch was on run, bike was in neutral. The bike will start without the clutch being pulled in as long as it is in neutral.
          Basically you hit the start button and get NOTHING.

Thanks,
          Dave

Comment

to the top bump.

Comment

This is just my first thought ........ is it actually in neutral or is it in a false one ?...... had a kwak that used to bring the light on in first & second gears sometimes & no way would it start untill i'd rocked it back & forth while playing with the gears & finding the real neutral :-D

Comment

I went through the gears again to make sure that I was in neutral.

Comment

Retrace your steps around the tank removal. You may have disturbed an electrical connection which is now not completing a circuit. Also check connections around the starter solenoid.
                  :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                  GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                  GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                  GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                  http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Thank you very much. I did not know the starter solenoid was under the gas tank. I am short of an owners manual. I will check that out as soon as I get off work. I did not remove the gas tank, I just moved it back toward the rear of the bike leaving everything but the vaccume line and gas line connected. I must have disturbed the wiring to the solenoid.

Appreciate the help guys.

thanks,
                    Dave

Comment

Sounds like it's time to pull the clutch lever anyway, or get out the test light and see which switch or connection is dirty enough to not let the power through.

Is your 750 that much different from my 650 and 850 (both of them are also '82s) that you can start in neutral without using the clutch? Mine had to use the clutch regardless of gear position, until I disabled the clutch switch cutout on the 850.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Xx82_GS750xX View Post
                        Thank you very much. I did not know the starter solenoid was under the gas tank. I am short of an owners manual. I will check that out as soon as I get off work. I did not remove the gas tank, I just moved it back toward the rear of the bike leaving everything but the vaccume line and gas line connected. I must have disturbed the wiring to the solenoid.

Appreciate the help guys.

thanks,
                        Dave
                        Your solenoid is not under the tank. It's under your left side cover(from the riders position). You may have loose or rusty connections. Doing what Steve has suggested will also help diagnose/eliminate possible causes of your open curcuit. Don't overlook the connections to the kill switch!
                        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

Ok guys, I found out what it was. When I slid the gas tank back, the 2 wires(I believe for the gas guage) pulled on the wiring harness in the area where the starter solenoid connectors are. There was tension on the yellow solenoid connector due to it being caught near the battery which caused it to come un-plugged. Buttoned everything up and let her rip. She runs great now with the new plugs and sounds great with the new supertrap insert.\\/

Thanks to all for the advice:-D,
                          Dave

Comment

Good result Dave. Well done. Enjoy your ride.

Comment

Working...
                            X