wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring harness

I have recently purchased a 81 gs1000g. At one point it had a big touring fairing on it and I think that the wiring harness that is on the bike is for that fairing. The reason I think this is there are ALOT of wires hanging out in front of the bike and no were to put them. Is this a reasonable assumption? Should I just start looking for a new (correct) harness or weed out the one I have? Where could I find a new/used one and are they interchangable between the different gs1000 models?
    Thanks,
    Todd
    GS1000G with lots of extra wires

You could try to squeeze all of the wiring into the headlight bucket.

Steve

Comment

Wiring harness is the same, Vetter farring had connector plug that was tapped into the harness. The rats nest of wires should be inside of the stock headlight

Comment

I will try to cram it all in the head light bucket. It seems like there is no room for all that is there but I really don't know diddly. I will let you know how it went.
        Thanks,
        Todd

Comment

Wire Harness

Todd:
          Be aware that there are different headlight "shells/buckets". My '80 GS850G had a single hole the wiring harness went through. (kinda' tight!) My '82 GS1100G had the wrong headlight shell for a couple of years, until I found out that that year required a headlight shell with two (2) large round holes on either side of the "shell" to accomodate the wiring harness. (still tight, but workable). Try to find a few models in your year range and model type. NOT ALL HEADLIGHT SHELLS ARE THE SAME! Some are too shallow for the harness to fit in (older, smaller models, I suspect). Also there are "special" bolts that hold the headlight shell on with metal spacers that fit the mounting bracket and a special nut inside the headlight shell to secure the bolt. Also check for wiring harness metal "tangs" inside the headlight shell to help support the harness inside the shell( keeps the headlight from burning the wiring harness).
          Hope this helps. These are little tricks I picked up from a few years of tinkering with the GS series.
          Bob Young
          GS850G/GS1100G

Comment

I was able to cram all of the wires in side the head light bucket. I am amazed. I really did not think all that mess would fit in there. The front of my bike looks right now so I am pretty darn happy. Thanks for the input sometimes the simpilest things get over looked.
            Todd,
            GS1000G with a butt load of wires in the headlight

Comment

yeah, I was pretty shocked when I removed my vetter and went to an 8 inch bucket. I know its not the stock bucket, I pulled it myself at the junkers, but it fit

Comment

Working...
              X