Hmmm. How do you get the seat off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm. How do you get the seat off?

Just purchased a 1985 gs1150ef which I would like to strip down and clean/get to know. The manual instructs me to remove the seat but doesn't offer any directions. Can someone please share the "secret handshake" as I am a GS newbie; my last ride was a '78 kz650c!?

Too new for me, but, I think if it's similar to mine, there's a lock on the bottom of the saddle at the rear, or if it's like those new-fangled newer models it should be on the left side somewhere...........\\/

Comment

Thanks... on closer inspection I see there is a release key/cable... sort of a dual purpose helmet holder switch... but it's not turning to release the tank and it feels like any more force will snap the key. Hmmmm... this may be a job for penetrating oil

Comment

The seat latch release on the 85 1150 is on the left side at the seat lock. The cable goes into the tumbler assembly of the lock. Turning the key (if I remember correctly) counterclockwise while pushing down lightly on the rear of the seat, still holding the key in the counterclockwise position, then lift the seat, rear first. If that doesnt work, try the same, but turning the key clockwise and holding it. Its been a while. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by Precision 42 View Post
        Just purchased a 1985 gs1150ef which I would like to strip down and clean/get to know. The manual instructs me to remove the seat but doesn't offer any directions. Can someone please share the "secret handshake" as I am a GS newbie; my last ride was a '78 kz650c!?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. Precision 42,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Further let it be known that good standing can be improved with pictures (not you, your bike)! :-D

I'm just the greeter, but I think after you unlock it I'm pretty sure your seat will lift up and off, no hinges. I think your seat lock is on the left side. It will come apart in two pieces, front and rear. I'll shut up now and wait for an owner to come along and straighten us both out. Thanks for joining us!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Thanks BassCliff. I found the lock alright but that key isn't going to turn counterclockwise... not even with me sitting (pouncing upon) the seat... I'm trying to avoid the urge too add more force as I only have the one "helmet/seat" key. Life will be difficult if I can't get the seat off... presently the catch is soaking in WD40 and I'm practicing my deep breathing and zen visualization techniques.

Comment

Mr. Precision 42,

The seat/helmet lock (#4) is still available new, but not the rear support bracket (#7). Good luck.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'll let it soak overnight and pray for a miracle... then I'll order the part: thanks.

Comment

On both of the 1150's I've owned, the seat locks turned to the right, to unlock the helmet hook, very easy. To the left, to unlock the seat was a different story. I thought several times I would brake the key. They turn very slow like there is VERY VERY VERY thick grease in the cable. Much worse in cold weather. Always thought it must be a poor design, as I never had this problem with any other GS's
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I ended up taking the lock unit off and spraying some WD40 into the cable. I took the lock mechanism apart and cleaned it with solvent and then lubed it and put it back together... works like a charm now

Comment

there is another way to get the seat off if the seatlock is inoperative. Look under the side of the seat and you will see the cable coming from the lock and running under the seat to the latch. Cut the cable/cable housing where it exits the tumbler assembly and then pull the cable end that goes to the latch. That part of mine broke years ago and I just left ablut 3/4" of the bare cable to hang under the seat. Whenever I wanted to remove the seat, I just reached underneath and it only took two fingers to pull the cable, releasing the latch.

Earl

Originally posted by Precision 42 View Post
                      Thanks BassCliff. I found the lock alright but that key isn't going to turn counterclockwise... not even with me sitting (pouncing upon) the seat... I'm trying to avoid the urge too add more force as I only have the one "helmet/seat" key. Life will be difficult if I can't get the seat off... presently the catch is soaking in WD40 and I'm practicing my deep breathing and zen visualization techniques.
                      Last edited by earlfor; 01-04-2008, 11:07 PM.
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Oh how I wish they wouldn't try to fix things that aren't broke. Never had a problem from the old locks, now with the cables, it can be a pain. Like the chokes, never a problem when the choke lever was on the side of the carbs, but now replace choke cables, lubricate choke cables, use one hand to pull clutch in, one hand to hold choke knob up, & the other hand to hit the staretr button, not to mention keeping the tension right on the cable holder, & replacing the little plastic choke lever. Go figure.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                        X