Blinkers Stopped Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blinkers Stopped Working

Does anyone know of an easy way to determine why blinkers would stop working suddenly? My 1980 GS850G was working fine with no problems then one day I had no blinkers. Everything else functions properly. All fuses are good. Does the switch complete a ground thus allowing the blinkers to work? Is there a way to test and determine where the problem is. I have mounted a spair left side switch assembly and it did not help. I'm thinking the signal unit has gone bad but I just don't want to go out and buy one if not needed. Thanks in advance for any ideas or solutions.

Take it apart and jump the wires to both sides to see if they work. Check all grounds and connections to include the ones in the headlight. Also check the blinker relay.

Comment

Check the hot wire going into the relay. If you have juice there, but not beyond, (when the bike is switched on) its probably the relay. A simple test light works great, and there cheap. Check the ground side as well with the same light. I had a problem with one of my blinkers not working in the instrument panel yet the signal itself worked. At that time I had a small break in the wires leading to the instrument panel. They were located under the tank and inside the plastic protective sleeve. A last resort is to go out and by some new sleeving, remove all of the old, check for shorted wires and fix when found.

Good Luck, Dave W.

Comment

Bob,

All I know is I've got a 1980 GS850G that has all of the blinkers working wonderfully!!!

I'm just kidding around with you. The bike is great - thanks for it!

So the rest of you will understand my humor...Bob sold me my GS850G a few weeks ago - it's in great shape - a wonderful bike!

Comment

I DO remember having to take the rear stalks off my bike and clean up the corroded hardware, because that's what completes the ground, at least on my bike. In other words there's only one wire to the blinker, hot - the other connection is the stalk to the chassis.

Comment

All-right, looks like I'll spend some time with connections. I'll take unit apart and see what happens. I didn't know it would come apart. Fairing up front with wires in a bag, I'll check these connections also.

Hey dwigbrad, I'm dreaming about the nice bike you got. It is really a keeper. I'm glad your happy with it. Finaly going to warm up here, hopefully get to ride this weekend.

I'd rather ride than tinker but sometimes with these older bikes you just gotta tinker a little.

Still better looking bikes than whats available to buy at present.

Comment

Well I found a loose ground wire on the blinker unit and now they work fine. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

What I did when mine quit.

The blinkers on my GS1100EZ quit and it turned out that the flasher had committed suicide so I used an old automotive flasher which works just fine but now I have to manually turn the signals off.

Nothing had to be cut or modified and if I ever choose to spring for the original Suzuki flasher ($$$$$) I can return it to original.

Comment

You mean the little flasher units for cars will work instead of using original equipment. I'll have to keep that in mind. They quit working again.

Comment

Mine worked off and on also. The relays and contacts in the signal unit weakened and died.

With the automotive flasher they work fine now except they don't auto shut off.

Comment

My rear indicators stop working every couple of months. I've found that all I need to do is tighten the bolt that holds the indicator stalk and bracket to the bike. You seem to get a bad earth even if the stalk is even slightly loose.

Roger

Comment

I'm going to clean all ground connections. I can ride the bike and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

Comment

Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:13 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine worked off and on also. The relays and contacts in the signal unit weakened and died.

With the automotive flasher they work fine now except they don't auto shut off.

Thanks,
                          Rick

Comment

Bob mine were doing the same thing till I made a plastic heatshield under the tank to keep engine heat off the connectors. It seemed they'd work fine till the engine got hot then no flashers at all.

Here's my question to pose, my owners manual has said the GS1000LN has self canceling turn-signals. Mine have never self canceled. Is this the flasher unit that does the canceling? If so it is possible mine does not have the original flasher or that that feature has stopped working. IF that feature is located elsewhere where do I find it?

Comment

Mine has a flasher unit which sits on the right side just forward the frame behind the airbox. I don't know if your 1000 is like my 850 or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X