brake calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake calipers

is ther a way to adjust the brake calipers? like make them a wee bit looser? because mine rub in the back.

What do you mean by "rub" in the back?? Need more info to help out

Comment

My guess is if something's rubbing either a piston or slider is stuck or a disc is warped

Comment

You might want to check that your back brake pedal returns to the full position when you stop applying the brake. Sometimes crud gets in the pivot points and keeps the brake from fully retracting. Easy things first.

Comment

what i mean by rub is the pad is always against the disc. the disc is not warped, i think it might be stuck. if so, is it hard to take off the caliper and clean it? and what do i do with the brake line? wont it drip brake fluid and put air in the system. sorry, never taken a brake caliper off before.

Comment

Sounds like a rebuild of your rear caliper is in order. It's not difficult, but don't attempt it without some literature or a shop manual. Replacing the fluid is a good idea, too.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
              what i mean by rub is the pad is always against the disc. the disc is not warped, i think it might be stuck. if so, is it hard to take off the caliper and clean it? and what do i do with the brake line? wont it drip brake fluid and put air in the system. sorry, never taken a brake caliper off before.
              Its normal for the pad to rest lightly against the disk. If you put it on the center stand you should be able to turn the wheel without much effort and the resistance should be relatively the same all the way around. The caliper is not bolted firmly to the bike, but slides back and forth on one or more pins. You can usually pull two bolts and take the caliper off the bike but leave the hoses connected. That will allow you to remove the slide parts, clean and relube them. LOL

Comment

Working...
              X