replacing valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacing valves

it turned out that my stuck valve was bent. guess that knocking wasnt combustion. anyways, when i get a new valve, do i have to replace the valve seat too?

im gonna clean the shafts of the other valves so they dont get stuck and bent too.

Originally posted by catbed View Post
    it turned out that my stuck valve was bent. guess that knocking wasnt combustion. anyways, when i get a new valve, do i have to replace the valve seat too?

im gonna clean the shafts of the other valves so they dont get stuck and bent too.
    You might as well replace all the seals and clean the whole thing, maybe even do new piston rings while you're in there, and make it worth your time. Chef has a great pictorial/tutorial on this very subject, if you do a search on it.

Comment

You don't replace seats but machine them. A little test I did was after I put the valves in with a light lapping pour gas on the combustion side of the effected valve area and see if fuel leaks through.

Make sure your cam chain tensioner is good, This might have caused the bent valve by jumping a tooth on the timing or a slack in the chain with these automatic cam chain tensioners create on a quick decal at high speeds.

Click here
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Be thankful the valve didn't break.Depending on milage ? Just replace the valve, lap the valve seat to the new valve, replace the stem seals. If it has a lot of miles just send it out & have the valves redone

Comment

as you're there, you might want to check the springs as well. worth replacing for a peace of mind.
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X