Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb/winterizing

Hi,

I'm just now getting my bike out of the cold and into a garage. She hasn't started since September. Needs a full carb clean. I will use the guide found on this site. I am wondering about what steps I need to take to see winterizing through. What order should I be doing or checking and cleaning things. Carbs first? oil filter last? I have a garage and time....finally. I want to get her PRIMED for the Spring or earlier.

Thanks all

You can clean the carbs any time you want, but it makes sense to do them last, after checking all the electrical connections and adjusting the valves.

I the sequence of normal maintenance, valves and ignition checks are done first, carbs are the last, so why bother cleaning and tuning the carbs first, only to have to do it again after the valves? :shock:

If it were me, and I would be storing the bike until spring, I would check the valves, remove the carbs and clean them, re-install the carbs, change the oil and filter, then put SeaFoam in the gas tank. You need to run the bike to circulate the new oil and to get the SeaFoam into the float bowls, so you may as well tune the carbs at the same time. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Everything Steve said plus

Pull battery, take inside and check the cells are up to the level..add a little distilled water if down. Place on 1 or 2 amp trickle charge until battery shows 13+ volts. Check again every 2 weeks. charge as necessary.

Wash and wax everything metal.

Clean and re-oil chain.

Get bike on centerstand or lift and try to get both wheels off the ground. Pump tires up about 5 pounds over regular ( stops flat spots from forming).

Get a can of "fogging oil" and liberally spray cylinders throught he plug holes.Crank the bike over for a second or two to distribute it (do this before pulling battery obviously).

Loosely cover with a a cotton sheet or proper bike cover to keep dust off.

This is the normal approach for putting the bike away for winter but some of us keep them ready to roll in case we get a stretch of warm weather[-o<
      In this case, get the carbs and valves sorted and get her running. Keep Seafoam in the tank and if the tank is not sealed or a bit rusty try and keep it full. Pull and charge the battery as suggeted. When the weather is above freezing fire her up for 5 to 10 minutes even if you don't get out for a ride.

Keep us informed of whatyou end up doing.

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
        When the weather is above freezing fire her up for 5 to 10 minutes even if you don't get out for a ride.
        Gotta disagree with you on that one, Spyug. :shock:

Although it sounds so sweet, starting an engine like that and not getting it up to full operating temp is a sure-fire recipe for trouble. Although engine parts may feel warm or even hot, they are not hot enough to burn off the condensation that is formed by the warm/cool cycle of intermittent operation. Besides forming all kinds of crud in the crankcase, it also contributes heavily to mufflers rusting from the inside out.

Best to leave it covered and on a battery tender until you can get it out and ride it for at least half an hour. 8-[

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

here is some more good info on fuel and storing motors.
          yes it is for boats but the tips and tricks works on any motor.

since you have a way out of the weather and my not be riding it for a time. mite as well check and clean the hole bike. wheel bearings and center stand are allways over looked. befor i sold my bike i would put stabal in the tank. then every chance i had i would ride it for a hour or two then fill the tank back up with fresh gas and stabal. if i did not ride it for a long strech i would dump the old gas in my truck and get a fresh tank full.

Comment

Steve, I stand duly chastised.

Actually as I wrote it I expected to get brought up on it. I know this is not popular with a lots of folks. We've talked about it on the XS board as well and a lot of the opinion there echoes your comments.

I follow your logic but don't 100% agree. I've never been able to find any professional papers on the subject and anything I've heard is just anecdotal.

I would think that running the engine to warm in the garage on a warm winter day is no more harmful than idling at a stoplight afer a run, as long as it is not over revved. As for condensation, I grant it could happen but if the airtemp is warmer than freezing and humidity is at a lower level (maybe less than 50% say) I can't see how it would result in water pooling in the pipes.

While I'm not concerned to fire the bike up a time or two over the winter, i won't do it if its freezing out or there's humidity in the air. I just like to keep her ready to run in the odd chance that the weather permits a scoot ( as their suggesting for this week..thaws on). Mind you, having said this, the roads are seldom safe with the sand and salt that builds up and remains 'til spring.

Your conservative approach might be best after all.

Cheers,
            spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
              I would think that running the engine to warm in the garage on a warm winter day is no more harmful than idling at a stoplight afer a run, as long as it is not over revved.
              While "idling at a stoplight after a run", I would guess that everything is already quite warm. 8-[

I agree with the publication/anecdote thing, but here is another way to look at it. Next time you start your bike, car, truck, whatever, look at the exhaust pipe. See that white vapor coming out? Water. Until the pipes are warm enough to keep all that vapor in the air as steam, that vapor can condense inside the pipe. If you look at the bottom of your mufflers, you will likely see a small hole (about 2 mm) at the lowest point, usually the front of the muffler. This is to allow that condensation to drain, but after 25 years, is that hole really open?
              I know I haven't checked mine, have you checked yours?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Never thought to do it. Its warm enough today (12 C) to crawl under and have a look, so maybe after supper I'll do that. Mind you, I believe I'm getting less inclined to fire it up at all. Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone until say June:-D Weather should be good by then.

I think I need to move to Mexico then I won't have to worry about these things. Its too much pressure I tell ya:?

Roll on spring!

Cheers,
                Spyug.

Comment

Working...
                X