Pods fluttering in the wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods fluttering in the wind

Rode through a severe crosswind this morning, causing my pods to act up. It was blowing about 40mph from the south as I was heading east.

It completely disrupted acceleration.

The bike began wallowing in a odd resonance. I tryed pulling redline in third, but it wasn't having it.

I though of making a shroud out an old airbox, but I don't think it would of helped today.

I'm sure some will say a stock setup would have shrugged this right off.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Are the vent lines removed?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
      Rode through a severe crosswind this morning, causing my pods to act up. It was blowing about 40mph from the south as I was heading east.

It completely disrupted acceleration.

The bike began wallowing in a odd resonance. I tryed pulling redline in third, but it wasn't having it.

I though of making a shroud out an old airbox, but I don't think it would of helped today.

I'm sure some will say a stock setup would have shrugged this right off.
      Yup they'll do that. I don't think there's a solution really, it's just one of the many reasons Suzuki chose to fit an airbox in the first place.

But we have different priorities, eh? :-D

Comment

i've had an experience like that even with the airbox on (was a yamaha xs750)
        the wind was gusty and blowing up to 60 km/h
        two up and with the luggage on i had to drive in the second gear... 8-[
        GS850GT

Comment

I never had problems with wind and my pods. I rode in some bad rain storms with no problems.

Comment

I've seen massive carburation changes due to wind on a mate's BSA A65 set up with bellmouths. We were sorting the carburation out one windy day, got it sorted in the garage then rolled it out on to the drive. Slow run was up and down all over the place with I guess 40mph winds - pushed it back in the garage and it was fine. We repeated the 'inside / outside' a few times as neither of us could believe what was going on.

Of course this was stationary and without any air filters (apart from the gauze on the bellmouths). I guess the effect with pods and a bike moving would be less but you should have been there to see what the revs were doing on this old Beezer.

Wally
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

That was why I switched to pods on mine. Have not had any problem since then. Even some stock aircleaner set-ups are not the greatest of designs.
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

When its cold out I swear I can feel a small difference at cruise with my knees tucked in against the bike shrouding the pods compared to them being relaxed in normal riding position. Also when cold and windy my plugs show slightly leaner on 1 and 4 cyl.'s compared to inside cyl.'s.

Comment

I did remove the vent lines long ago.

I've never owned a bike with stock pipes, so fiddling with an airbox became a nuisance when the pipe called for re jetting.

I guess thats the price to pay for that top end hit.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I've rode through some hellacious crosswinds that almost knocked me completely over while travelling 60mph, and through some vicious storms......have have not had this happen yet.

Then again, this was on my pod'd 450.

Comment

Working...
                    X