Gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs850

I have a 1982 GS850G that I have determined to have a faulty CDI Unit. I decided to go with a Dyna S system to replace the Signal Generator and go straight to the ignition coils. After removing the Signal Generator I put back on the Dyna S and bolt it in place. My problem is that the nut that attaches to the end of the crank no longer reaches with the Dyna in place. I know Dyna has to work with a mechanical advance, which is what I thought I had. Ive found some documentation on this site saying I need parts off a 1100. Has anyone had this problem that can help me out. This is my first GS Suzuki and my first motorcycle all together. Thank You.

More Info

There is 28,000 miles on the bike, It has not been running. I picked it up as a project bike. Not much recent work has been done other then carb rebuild, and cleanup on it. With the bad cdi unit installed I have had it running but only on one cylinder. I had 2 cylinders spark but only one was firing properly. I am getting excited that I am close to having it run once this Dyna S is properly installed. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. Andrwbunker,

First of all, let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Further let it be known that good standing can be improved with pictures (not you, your bike)! :-D

I'm sorry I haven't the experience to help you with your ignition situation. But if you like, feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website for manuals, diagrams and pictorial maintenance guides of the stuff I have learned to do.

Thanks for joining us. There are lots of Dyna users here and I'm sure one of these nice folks will be along shortly to offer some suggestions.

One more suggestion, I recommend visiting the garage section via the GSR Hompage and check out the carb rebuild series and the Stator Papers. Other informational pages from members include those of Mr. bwringer, Mr. tfb and Mr. robertbarr.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

It appears you have an electronic advance. I would call Dynatech at 800-928-3962. Ask them if an advance and crank trigger off an 80-83 sixteen valve GS1100 engine will work because I have extra. Let me know.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X