Poor Cold Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Cold Start

Any advice on this problem would be much appreciated.Starting my 1982 gs1000g from cold is very poor ,once started fine,I have cleaned and set carbs as per excellent series on resource site.It seems to me that carbs are getting too much fuel as when you do get bike started if you pull choke out again revs rise briefly and bike cuts out,(so i guess choke is working as revs rise).The bike did start ok from cold when i got it but was flooding into airbox (float valves) and petcock was passing without engine running,both now cured,i have cleaned all jets and choke pickups in bowls,diaphragms are fine,slides all free,cables free and set correctly,mix screws set 1.5 turns out from bottoming.Had these carbs apart three times now.any ideas guys........

sounds like its time to adjust your valves. Poor cold starting is a sure symptom of misadjusted valves.

Comment

Did somebody just say "adjust the valves"? :shock:

Good thing, because that's what will fix your problem.

Oh, and please allow me to toss a quick "WELCOME" your way until BassCliff chimes in with the official one.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

hey howdy hey!

Mr. PAULJAC47,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Further let it be known that good standing can be improved with pictures (not you, your bike)! :grin:

I see this was also posted in the Tech section. I'm glad you found the right section to ask your technical/mechanical questions. Having the carburetors properly tuned is very important but, as Mr. TheCafeKid and Mr. Steve recommended (and I concur), a valve adjustment is highly recommended as your symptoms are indicative of tight valves.

In addition to carb rebuild series, I recommend visiting the garage section via the GSR Hompage and check out the Stator Papers. There's also a lot of great information in the Old Q&A section. I have some documentation on my little BikeCliff website to help get you familiar with doing valve adjustments and other routine maintenance tasks. Other "user contributed" informational sites include those of Mr. bwringer, Mr. tfb and Mr. robertbarr.

Thanks for joining us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The announcements section is for site admin use. Tech questions should be posted in the tech section.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
          X