Whats bubbling out of my igniter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sark View Post
    An electronic ignition? A dyna? Sorry, i have no idea about these. I'll have to google them and see what I can come up with. Might this be a good idea? It looks like a 20 y/o igniter is still gonna cost me 80 bucks. An exra 50 for something new isn't that bad.
    Here's an example of a Dyna ignition from a very reputable dealer:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

This replaces everything except the coils and spark plug wires.

However, you will want to ask the forum or email Jeff at Z1 to verify which Dyna ignition you might need. It's not at all clear which bike you have or what year it is, so you'll need to provide more info.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Be careful when you jump

Hmm, you could be right. I really have no idea. I just set my charger to "engine start" which is 50amps.
      I realize that this is like closing the barn door after all the cows have escaped. :-D

That setting must be for a car "engine start". I concur with the electronic ignition recommendation. I think that's the best option too.

And please don't ever jump your bike like that again. It's not healthy for GS motorcycles and other living things.

Best of luck with your new ignition. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      (The king of the Profound Glimpse into the Obvious)

Comment

I just want to say that according to the PO, the igniter was damaged when I purchased the bike. If my putting the bike on a 50amp charge damaged anything, it didnt damage the igniter. With that in mind, what could cause the igniter to have failed originally?

And thank you all, I'm learning alot.

Comment

I just want to say that according to the PO, the igniter was damaged when I purchased the bike. If my putting the bike on a 50amp charge damaged anything, it didnt damage the igniter. With that in mind, what could cause the igniter to have failed originally?

And thank you all, I'm learning alot.
          A bad voltage regulator, poor ground connections, someone else using a laser to try start a bike that really needed carb work? :?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            A bad voltage regulator, poor ground connections, someone else using a laser to try start a bike that really needed carb work? :?
            Not to mention the fact that about 25 years ago, the electronic components tended to last about 25 years. :shock:

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Not to mention the fact that about 25 years ago, the electronic components tended to last about 25 years. :shock:

And yet again...GREAT POINT! What, all this time I still thought it was 1986. (or at least my brain thought it was) \\/

Comment

You may start thinking more about Ebay when they tell you the price...
                Or check for maybe a dealer? for Boyer Bransden. Big Co supplying ign for alot of the smaller bikes Dyna ign fits the 4 cyl bikes. www.BoyerBransden.com available thru http://www.sudco.com/
                Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2008, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Haha these responses are fantastic :-D

I'm just afraid I'm gonna drop 80 bucks on a replacement igniter form ebay and fry that one also. Oh just for a laugh i called a zuki dealer and asked for an igniter. I was told a replacement would cost $387.

I'm currently reseearching a whole new system from either dyna or newtronic. I'll let you all know what i find.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    You may start thinking more about Ebay when they tell you the price...
                    Or check for maybe a dealer? for Boyer Bransden. Big Co supplying ign for alot of the smaller bikes Dyna ign fits the 4 cyl bikes. www.BoyerBransden.com

Sorry I'm not familiar with Big Co and i can't find anything about them online. Can you perhaps provide me with a link? Thanks!

Comment

Thought I would give you guys an updat.

I found an ignitor for 70 bucks on ebay. I plugged it in and the bike fired right up, well half of it did but thats another story.... Thanks again for everyones input. I also noticed a fuse was missing. The two wire ends were connected directly to each other. Perhaps this had something to do with it????

Comment

Well now, thats certainly good news. The last quote I got from a dealer for an ignitor was $458.00

Earl :-)

[quote=sark;

Oh just for a laugh i called a zuki dealer and asked for an igniter. I was told a replacement would cost $387.
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                        X