horns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horns

my horns are not that loud. when my grandfather still rode this motorcycle(16 years ago), my dad said the horns were louder. there is tape around the contact on the horns. should i solder these?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2008, 12:57 AM.

I would not solder to the horn terminals. Some day you just might want to remove the wires.

Make sure you have good contact to the horn. Test the horn with separate wires straight to the battery. You can usually tune the horn with an adjustment screw on the back side. Just turn it slowly, listening for the loudest, most obnoxious sound. If the horn just won't work well, go to Auto Zone and get another one. Look for horns with two terminals to match the one you have now, but if you can only find single-terminal horns, that's not a problem. It is easy to install a relay to send power to the horn, just don't install the single-terminal horn without the relay.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ill take a look at the connectors and look for that screw.

thanks!

Comment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

FWIW, the Stebel Nautilus and the Wolo Bad-Boy are the exact same horn, but rebadged for another manufacturer. Harbor freight often puts it on sale for $35, and occasionally $30.

I liked it enough on the bike to do the cage too.\\/

Comment

I had the same problem and found on an old post (cant remember whose) and it said to pull the horn, take off the outside disc, clean the face with electrical contact cleaner and then adjust the screw. I did not have to buy a new horn.
            82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
            81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
            83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
            06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
            AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

is there a polarity to the horns? i took them off without noting them. if anyone has stock horns for an 850 (bwringer maybe, hopefully) the right angle heat shrink goes to which contact on the left horn.

Comment

No polarity that I know of.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I would not solder to the horn terminals. Some day you just might want to remove the wires.
                  Yeah but a soldering iron takes off solder just as good as it puts it on.

Other than that :-D

Comment

Bolt these in and call it a day...

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                      FWIW, the Stebel Nautilus and the Wolo Bad-Boy are the exact same horn, but rebadged for another manufacturer. Harbor freight often puts it on sale for $35, and occasionally $30.

I liked it enough on the bike to do the cage too.\\/
                      I wondered if that one was the same, or a crappo imitation. Thanks!

Off to Harbor Fright.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
                        is there a polarity to the horns? i took them off without noting them. if anyone has stock horns for an 850 (bwringer maybe, hopefully) the right angle heat shrink goes to which contact on the left horn.
                        No polarity -- just plug 'em in any old which way.

If you don't mind dealing with fiddly greasy tiny ancient springs that like to leap out at you and get lost forever, you could also try disassembling the switch pod with the horn button and cleaning the contacts in there. Or you could wire the horn(s) through a relay.

I replaced both my "sick cat" horns with one horn I got for $11 at Cycle Recycle II, and have enjoyed much more robust honkage ever since. I don't honk enough to spend much time fiddling with them.

The way I see it, if you're honking all that much, you're doing something wrong... :-D
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

im not honking much. not doing much riding actually.

Comment

Ooh, here you go... Dixie horns!

One piece musical speaker that delivers true musical instrument sounds and plays two different songs.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehhhawwwwwwwwwww!
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              I replaced both my "sick cat" horns with one horn I got for $11 at Cycle Recycle II, and have enjoyed much more robust honkage ever since. I don't honk enough to spend much time fiddling with them.

The way I see it, if you're honking all that much, you're doing something wrong... :-D
                              Hmmm... same guy that said the following in another thread...

Pretty standard, really. But here's my confession: sometimes, when it's just too, too predictable and there's no one behind me, I succumb to temptation.

As the blank-eyed minivan pilot heaves the wheel to the left and stomps the throttle, I've already slowed enough to give myself plenty of room for the show. When she starts to move, I lock up the rear brake in a lurid, smoking, screeching, fishtailing slide while doing the actual work of slowing safely with the front brake. :twisted:

I count it as a direct hit if they drop their cell phone and/or latte. Often, they slam on the brakes, freeze and come to a complete stop in the middle of the intersection, knuckles white on the wheel and eyes the size of dinner plates. Sometimes they manage to scoot out of the way.
                              I've locked the rear (unintentionally) a few times ... and once it almost spit me off in a highside for it ... Now I use the rear brake gingerly, and the horn to wake up the minivan pilots.

Gotta admit your way has MUCH more style though .... \\/

Comment

Working...
                              X