Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
    Keith,

Thanks for the kind words. In case you missed the thread, here are the new canine members of the Nardy household, Koa and Norton:

Now back to Dan's carb issues................

Thanks,
    Joe
    Oh my goodness!! If cute looks could kill I'd be dead.
    Enjoy those little buggers!
    Again, so happy for Layla!!:-D
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      So a much smaller main with pretty much the same everything else... maybe that's the issue. I hope to be changing to the Jardines soon anyway so I guess I might worry about it again then...
      Sorry Salty about the subject detour. Hard to compete against those pups.
      Kinda wondering if you really do have the correct carbs on there or if they're only "close". Not sure what else to do 'til you can make those high speed tests.
      What bothers me is the backfiring, if I'm correctly understanding it as a true "bang" backfire. Usually, a backfire is from unburned fuel collecting inside the head and header and at a saturation point you get one big explosion. Unburned fuel can accumulate because of a weak/problem spark and/or rich mixture. If you say the jetting is close to stock if not identical, that leads me back to a spark quality/timing problem.
      I've seen quite a few bikes with rich jetting and they didn't backfire.
      I'd be sure to inspect the spark quality and timing first. If you have the tester and info to check the ignitor, I'd do that too. If it passes all tests and you know the connections are good and plugs are good, then I'd focus on the carbs.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

hehe you're not wrong! They're too cute.

The carbs are as listed as a stock set for my bike. The K&N is the only real difference & running a GS1000 exhaust instead of a 1000G exhaust (only difference is a couple degrees in the bend as far as I know).

Took the bike out again today, I'm running sea foam in the gas at the moment (I didn't have it in there the other day. Trying to clean the valves up, they looked a bit sooty through the intake). Anyway, today it seems much better & there is no real other difference today, it's warmer out though than the other day but that's it.

I don't think it can be ignition, the ignitor set seems ok, the coils are new dyna greens & plugs & leads are pretty new too.

I wonder if my vacuum tube could be collapsing & shutting off fuel... It's due for replacement anyway so I'll be doing that soon & cleaning the K&N.

Regardless this is now the best the bike has run since I've had it so it's all a plus.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

hehe you're not wrong! They're too cute.

The carbs are as listed as a stock set for my bike. The K&N is the only real difference & running a GS1000 exhaust instead of a 1000G exhaust (only difference is a couple degrees in the bend as far as I know).

Took the bike out again today, I'm running sea foam in the gas at the moment (I didn't have it in there the other day. Trying to clean the valves up, they looked a bit sooty through the intake). Anyway, today it seems much better & there is no real other difference today, it's warmer out though than the other day but that's it.

I don't think it can be ignition, the ignitor set seems ok, the coils are new dyna greens & plugs & leads are pretty new too.

I wonder if my vacuum tube could be collapsing & shutting off fuel... It's due for replacement anyway so I'll be doing that soon & cleaning the K&N.

Regardless this is now the best the bike has run since I've had it so it's all a plus.

Dan
          Sounds good Dan! Hopefully it will be okay from here on out..........

Thanks,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

It'll certainly make it to Yosemite again... how about you??
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It'll certainly make it to Yosemite again... how about you??
              Dan,

I'm not sure yet. I have to see how finances work out. It's a great trip but rather costly when factoring in the cost of renting a bike.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Joe,

How about borrowing or even buying one & then re-selling it? I'm sure one of us can help figure something out.....

I can pick up another one if you want to do the LA ride....

Going to fit those new Jardine 4:2 cans before I do any more messing with the bike... Worse case I'll use this new V&H & get pods & a dynojet kit.....

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Well back to the carbs....

Went on a 70 odd mile run today, mostly freeway. The bike ran well but opening the throttle hard would cause the bike to miss & didn't pull very hard.
                  This seemed to improve when it was cold after work but the situation is a little different.

Tonight Took one of the sidecovers off & went out & did the stop sign grand prix This stopped the miss but the bike felt restricted at pretty much all throttle positions apart from low throttle, sort of held back so I guess it was lean.

I then put some tape over one end of the filter, replaced the cover & went out, it was very good on the needle not great on WOT (but seemed better) . It banged a couple of times when shutting off the throttle quickly.

I then removed the filter & put a full line of tape down the snorkel side of the filter in an attempt to make it much richer.
                  The miss/banging & popping came back when opening the throttle & also when shutting off but WOT seemed to pull even harder.

From this my initial diagnosis:

WOT is lean - increase Main Jet
                  Needles probably about right, seem restricted at the higher end when Main Jet comes into play so should be sorted by the above.

Bike is going rich when I shut off the throttle causing the banging, this would make sense as I'm currently running pilot screws at 2.75 turns out. I think half a turn or so in would maybe sort this out.

I've left the line of tape on & will test further tomorrow if I get chance.

Anyone else got further thoughts... I'm definitely leaning towards running the V&H with pods & a DJ kit at least we can predict the setup on that
                  Last edited by salty_monk; 01-15-2008, 12:45 AM.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Taped up the air filter a bit more tonight, running good though restricted top end (won't pull past 7k rpm).

I imagine the restriction doesn't give a linear effect, it must cut a larger proportion of air as rpm's increase I would think - does that make sense?

Question is now, do I put some 117.5's in, put some 120's in or wait till I've made a decision on my exhaust & set at it then.

What main jet would be recommended with K&N inbox & the V&H if I go that route.... Kent uses a 120 on his 1100, stock is the same as mine at 115 so I guess the same might apply... if I'm lucky
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                    X